Chicks Hatched After 25 Days - Don't Give Up!

TheLittleDreamFarm

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
San Diego, CA
First time hatching chicks from our backyard flock and started to give up after day 23 with not a single pip from our 6 eggs. I scoured online to see what went wrong and even opened a couple as suggested. One was formed but wasn't moving at all and one was breathing with its yolk sac still attached but didn't make it since I opened it. Fully sick to my stomach, I left the others for a few more days and they hatched on days 25-27.

A lot of experienced hatchers have said that the chicks won't likely survive if they take that long to hatch but my chicks are now 3 weeks old and thriving!

After a little bit of research, it seems that my incubator temp was too low. I used the Nurture Right 360 and relied solely on its temperature. Now I have a Govee and discovered the incubator temp was actually 0.5-1 degree below what it read.

A lot to learn still but just here to say don't give up if your chicks haven't hatched after 21 days!

Attachments

• IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
One of the lessons learned is always check/calibrate the temperature and humidity sensors on your incubator. Well done on waiting.

Back
Top Bottom