Shellebelle920

Songster
5 Years
Feb 10, 2019
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I hatched white legbar, Black Copper Marans and silkie cockerels. I am planning on keeping 3 silkies, one BCM and the white legbar in a separate coop/run from the girls. They were hatched together and brooded together for a couple of weeks. However, they are now in separate brooders (silkies in one and standard size in another). Will this work down the road or will I most likely need to keep the bantam Roos separate? Does anyone have experience with this? They are all currently a bit over a month old. Thanks for any advice!

You might have better luck if you get them together now. The older they get the less chance you will have. Are these hatchery quality silkies? Or closer to show quality?

You might have better luck if you get them together now. The older they get the less chance you will have. Are these hatchery quality silkies? Or closer to show quality?
They are all from decent breeders (magnolia silkies, Little Peddler Marans and Curtis Hale legbars). The problem with the silkies is that I won’t know pullet or cockerel for a few more months (short of dna testing).

They are all from decent breeders (magnolia silkies, Little Peddler Marans and Curtis Hale legbars). The problem with the silkies is that I won’t know pullet or cockerel for a few more months (short of dna testing).
Than I probably wouldn't keep the silkies with the other breeds as they probably won't be able to see well or be as active.

I am growing out all of my silkies and then choosing the best male from each color group (buff, white and paint)
Sounds like you'll need lots of separate coop/runs...and will have lots of fun breeding!

Back
Top Bottom