Bantam Breeds in the Garden

TaylorB1216

Chirping
Jun 5, 2016
Hi All -
My husband and keep a pretty large garden each summer.
Last year, we encountered a large amount of cucumber beetles. These nasty critters feast on any type of cucurbits in your garden (squash, melons, cucumbers). Our Zucchini and Cucumber crops were heavily damaged. While we have a small flock of 7 ducks, they're all mid-weight breeds, and I would imagine that they might damage plants as they meander through to feast on the beetles. I was wondering if anyone has used bantam chickens in the garden? and were you successful at keeping the bugs at bay without having to use pesticides? We garden organically, so my preference is that we could find a natural solution to the cucumber beetles beyond just rotating our crop space.
My concern with the chickens, though, is would they also destroy the crops by eating any of the fruit?
Thanks!

Bantams still will dig and scratch and destroy plants. They just don't do as much damage as fast.

My muscovy ducks are good at eating bugs without as much destruction. I do need to keep them out of young plants as they will squish them but ducks don't dig like chickens do.

Or get some bantam ducks !!
BDpen04.JPG

I’ve heard of someone that uses chicks in their garden.
Chicks are ravenous for insects but too small to damage the plants. :drool
Obviously you’d have to supervise so they’re not at risk of predators.
This person would put the chicks out in the garden for a limited time each day or even just a few times a week.
Just a thought :old

Back
Top Bottom