Bantam cochin sexing

I'm not experienced with Cochin bantams (although have been looking at some to purchase)...but I do know that hens combs and wattles turn red at point of lay...From your photos I would agree with the others that the black one is a hen...and she is now a mature grown up lady who may start laying eggs for you soon. Does she do the little egg squat?

Lady of McCamley

This is the little roo that also came from the same farm and is at least one week younger.

There is no squatting and the comb and wattles have been red for a few months as well. However, no crowing either!

A hen's comb will turn red typically at POL which is about 20 to 26 weeks, depending upon the breed.

I am not experienced with bantam Cochins, yet....however your black one definitely looks like a girl to me, and the other a roo.

She may not be ready to lay yet, though of age, as she came to age when the days were growing shorter. I currently have 5 pullets who have very red combs, are fully mature, but do not squat nor lay yet even though they are now 29 weeks old.

I find that when hens come of age during the late fall as the days are going shorter, I have a 50% chance of whether or not they will begin to lay that fall or wait until spring as the days get longer, although they still look mature.

Is your other Cochin crowing yet? If you have no other roosters, he may take awhile to crow too (although mine new roosters always seemed to figure it out at 10weeks).

Lady of McCamley

Oh, he is crowing! Sounds funny hearing a very deep crow from such a little man! He has been crowing for a few months. They are the most friendly little guys. They, especially the black one, will come running whenever they see me. The little roo will let us handle him and do just about anything to him. I'm sure he doesn't appreciate all the hugs but he takes it well. I was able to integrate them into my existing flock of LF girls with little problems. I was very pleased since most people said the big girls would kill them.

What is the latest age I would expect development of hackle or saddle feathers?

What is the latest age I would expect development of hackle or saddle feathers?
I think you can rest assured that the black one is a pullet. At 33 weeks, unless something very strange is happening with the hormones, you've got a girl. Roosters at that age would have the male feathers and really large combs.

I picked up my bantam Cochins this weekend, and the pen that held the 3 to 4 month old roosters, already had full tails and saddles, so at 33 weeks (which is 6 months)...you have a girl who isn't laying because of the short winter hours....and bantam Cochins aren't known for being awesome layers.

Lady of McCamley

Finally! I am happy to report that I have a sweet little pullet. At 29 weeks she finally squatted! Could I possible expect eggs soon from her or will I have to wait until spring? I am in southestern Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom