Bantam? Cochin? What are these?

my3jsons

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
Oklahoma
Someone gave me these little feathered legged chickens for our farm yesterday. I really don't know what they are but they sure are pretty. Bantam is the smaller size, right? What breed do you think they are? Isn't this a rooster/hen pair? Our pet goat really likes them! Our egg layer chickens do not!

First one is either a poor-quality Mille Fleur D'Uccle bantam, or a D'Uccle mix. The second one appears to be a mix, possibly with some Buff Brahma bantam or D'Uccle in him. Both are cockerels.

It depends on the age for gender, but I don't think they are boys. At least not the first one, who is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle - no she is not great show quality, but is stinking adorable! Males tend to have reddish patches in their wings.

She appears to be older. Of laying age.

I'm not getting any clear indications of age, but if they are younger, they both could be male. I am assuming they are at least 4 months old. Did they tell you age?

This is a hen, and the colour of her reminded me of your bird in question. It's not what I typically see in Mille Fleur D'Uccles.

Edited: She is a Blue Mille Fleur D'Uccle - it must be a colour project. Maybe this is what your bird is for variety. :)

Here is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle Cock bird., See what I mean by deeper red in the shoulders? Among other obvious male characteristics like the flowing hackle & saddle feathers...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom