Bantam Cochin with crop issue

She's most likelygot something else going on. She should be feeling better and be interested in food by now.

This is when I mix up a potent cocktail of liquid food laced with extra protein (raw egg) Poultry Nutri-drench and a heaping spoon full of sugar and tube it into the patient. It's crunch time. If the shot of glucose, protein, and Nutri-drench, which goes directly into the blood stream, doesn't get her off her mark, nothing will.

Nothing is working. :( at this point I may just have to put her down. I am going to keep at it today and make my mind up this evening. I swear if you looked at her you'd never know anything was wrong no eye discharge breathing is fine. in other words no outward sign. Then pick her up and feel her breast bone sharp and she is so light. She just wants to lie in front of her mirror.
I took her sister out a few days ago because I felt the one sick was being intimidated since her sis would eat and the sick one would stand with her head down instead of joining in.

We've both been at this long enough to know the signs of a hen giving up the fight. This fall I lost one. I went through every single thing that you have with this girl. She's a rerun for me of my fall episode.

I finally withdrew all support care and left her on her own. She died on her own within just two or three days. Everything about her seemed normal other than she quit eating. I didn't even do a quickie necropsy. I knew it would have shown reproductive infection. Those are such a heart breaker.

I’m pretty sure her sister died if this same thing summer before last. My husband said I should put her out with the flock that seems cruel to me did you keep yours separated and let her die without possibly being picked on?
Thank you for all you help and support.

I think I’ll keep her in my bantams do get picked on sometimes by my big hens. I don’t want her to be stressed when she can go peacefully inside with me. I actually got her to eat a tiny bit of egg yolk by putting it on the floor in front of her. Not near enough but it was worth a try.

These final days are hard. But she will decide when it's over. You'll get signals. Eyes closed and refuses to open is one. Stopping all eating is another. Not caring about her surroundings is another. Like people who are dying, chickens also disengage gradually. There is no rebound whatsoever. Just a steady decline that's unmistakable for what it is.

I know it's up to her now it's just so hard to see them like this. I've let a few go on their own and also had to help a few it's never easy. She has her pen in here with us and her mirror which she loves.
Again I appreciate your support it really helps.

No, it never does get easier. It does help, though, to have someone who understands go through it with you.

So many chickens over the years have left me like this. Some I could relive as if it had happened just yesterday. The most excruciating, yet most tender was when I euthanized my nearly fourteen-year old Light Brahma hen Lady Di. She had been one of my very first baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom