BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics

updated pic 4 wk old pic of my lulu *rooster*

He even acts all boy DH said he just hasnt figured out the exchange rate with the females yet so he is just a silly toddler boy.

Hello everyone!

I've had two bantam Cochins, one of which was a total sweetheart who I loved dearly, the other... Eh, he's a nightmare but I couldn't let him go.

I got six bantam chicks to start my bantam flock in 2012, two of which were my Cochin babies. They're the yellow and yellow-red chicks in this picture:

I always believed them to be brother and sister. I named the boy Georgia and the girl Ruthie. They went through a terribly awkward phase as they grew, and were half yellow, half brown for a while!

When grown, Ruthie was a beautiful hen, and a wonderful mother figure. She laid great eggs almost every day, and when my rosecomb hen laid an egg fertilized by Georgia, Ruthie took it upon herself to hatch her soon-to-be niece! The egg hatched and became a hen I still have today. Unfortunately a hawk got Ruthie not long after that... I miss her every day.
This is her:

Georgia was sweet for a while when he was young, and I handled him every day, but he grew up MEAN. He attacked my other rooster and mauled the hens trying to breed, so I had to separate him. He still lives alone but I plan to get large fowl hens to put him with so he can be happy and I think they'll be so much bigger that he won't bother them too bad. Georgia is so handsome though, and he made such a pretty daughter, that I hate to let him go.
This is him:

And this is Georgia's half-rosecomb daughter, Mykerion (the black hen):
I have a Bantam roo that is mating with my standard hens and he is brutal, because he is too small to properly mate so he grabs a hold and is just tearing up my hens back something fierce! What's worse is that he won't mate (not that I've seen anyway) with my Bantam Cochin hen? He too is sweet and I try to handle him every day but at what age did yours turn aggressive to you?

I have a Bantam roo that is mating with my standard hens and he is brutal, because he is too small to properly mate so he grabs a hold and is just tearing up my hens back something fierce! What's worse is that he won't mate (not that I've seen anyway) with my Bantam Cochin hen? He too is sweet and I try to handle him every day but at what age did yours turn aggressive to you?

I don't recall /precisely/ as it all happened a few years ago now but I believe he was around one year old when he first started getting aggressive with the other bantam roo he was raised with and got kind of rough mating with the hens then (he did the same thing tearing feathers on a standard hen I rescued), and he was somewhere around a year and a half when he started attacking my mother and I when we walked into the run to feed them. He's a little over three years now and is still aggressive.

Do you have other roosters that are, so to say, higher up than him in the pecking order? My booted bantam roo, while smaller and more docile, seemed to be the leader of the flock when they were all together and he bred with the four hens more often than Georgia did, so most of the chicks I've hatched out from that flock have been that booted roo's babies. Georgia had a baby with my Rosecomb hen, but I think the only reason he got that mating right was because she was the lowest in the flock's pecking order. Perhaps if you have more than one roo and several hens, the ranking of your birds may have something to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom