BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
When did everyone else's Bantam cochins start laying? I have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel, all 3 around the 3 1/2 mark. possibly just a bit older but not much.

The pullets are begging to get tiny combs and waddles, that are turning a nice red, not very dark though. The Buff one is also very red in the face, it could be because she seems and acts the most dominant (She already is determining her place with the older hens, but our cockerel and the smaller pullet are too.).Of course this is the age where their body is kind of confused.

I was just researching and some are saying around 4months,I guess it just depends on the indivual.Regardless of all that I enjoy them, they make great pets.

I was just researching and some are saying around 4months,I guess it just depends on the indivual.Regardless of all that I enjoy them, they make great pets.

Mine also starting laying at the 7-9 month mark
smile.png
And YES! They are so sweet and friendly! They are AMAZING pets...enjoy!
love.gif

My oldest bantam cochin rooster is currently 6. I haven't had any of them make it older than that, but that boy is still kicking and is top rooster of the bantam flock. Most seem to pass between 4-6. I haven't yet had any really old rooster, my 3 d'uccle are 7 this year, 2 are looking worn out though. My roosters are living longer not eating layer ration.

Thank you, Lisa. I think Xander is about 3 1/2, but I'd have to go back and see. His crop is hard still, doing all we can to get it loosened up more. The only bantam rooster this happened to was a good bit younger, a Belgian D'Anver. He had pneumonia as a 2 week old chick and I think his heart was bad so his crop quit at around a year old. We did crop surgery and he was recovering from that just fine, but he just passed away. His color was so purple at the time. My oldest Belgian D'Anver rooster is about to turn 6 the first week of April, his son is 5.
Xander has never had any health issues, but he's quite the little dictator and has always had big hens, started with the big Orpingtons Suede left when he passed away of old age. He's been an awesome guy. I'd say if someone has hens and really doesn't want some of the hassle of a big rooster, get a little bantam Cochin guy for them. It seems odd but it works. Xander even convinced my large fowl EE hen to come into his group from hers, being very persistent in wooing her. Such a little stud muffin! I hate to think of losing him now.

Last edited:
Thank you, Lisa. I think Xander is about 3 1/2, but I'd have to go back and see. His crop is hard still, doing all we can to get it loosened up more. The only bantam rooster this happened to was a good bit younger, a Belgian D'Anver. He had pneumonia as a 2 week old chick and I think his heart was bad so his crop quit at around a year old. We did crop surgery and he was recovering from that just fine, but he just passed away. His color was so purple at the time.  My oldest Belgian D'Anver rooster is about to turn 6 the first week of April, his son is 5.
Xander has never had any health issues, but he's quite the little dictator and has always had big hens, started with the big Orpingtons Suede left when he passed away of old age. He's been an awesome guy. I'd say if someone has hens and really doesn't want some of the hassle of a big rooster, get a little bantam Cochin guy for them. It seems odd but it works. Xander even convinced my large fowl EE hen to come into his group from hers, being very persistent in wooing her. Such a little stud muffin! I hate to think of losing him now.
My oldest buff Orpington rooster is 5 this year, he is my oldest large fowl. When we catch and pick him up for spur and nail maintenance he gets all purple in his comb and wattles, which scares me. I'm sure one day he will just be dead. Most of my roosters go that way, so your thoughts on bad hearts might be the best answer for many of them.

I too really like bantam cochin roosters. They usually are all good roosters, but can be stinkers when young. Almost all of mine have spent months in rooster jail, but emerge as good little gentlemen. Mine even help raise the chicks, something only my oldest buff Orpington rooster will do too. I currently have 3 purebred Cochin roosters and 4 mixed slightly with d'uccle. They are also very entertaining.

Last edited:
This pullet was roughly around 3-4 months of age, mine don't get that red until almost 6 months. It's possible they are all roosters if they are that young.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom