Bantam Egg Pipped not Zipped

PeteWPNY

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Last egg left in the incubator. I noticed when I took chicks out that it was chirping and there was a hole on the bottom I didn't notice. Chick has gotten about this far in the process as shown in the photo.
1000005507.jpg

It's got it's beak sticking out, but hole has been the same size for about 2 hours with no progress. Is it possible it's shrink-wrapped? When I took the chicks out I didn't remove the lid completely. I just lifted the end closest to the chick high enough to fit my hand into to grab them. This was for two chicks, so the lid was cracked open for maybe 20-30 seconds. I did up the humidity to around 85%. I also upped the humidity before I cracked the lid open How long should I leave the chick alone before trying to help him finish? This is the last viable egg left in the incubator on day 21.

From pip to zip it can take up to 24 hours don't worry or do anything until 24 hours has passed some just take longer
Don't worry about shrink wrap yet babyis just resting it is very hard to get out and they take a lot of rests and they need to absorb their yoke sack too
Good luck

Thanks for the advice. This one hasn't zipped like all the others that have hatched. He started from the bottom then turned around and broke thru the other side. He looks like he's trying to kick out but he hasn't zipped all the way thru in one direction. This is what he looks like this morning:
1000005519.jpg
1000005516.jpg
1000005515.jpg

He has sections of solid shell both on top and on the bottom floor of the incubator. He hasn't zipped thru in one straight line.

Thanks for the advice. This one hasn't zipped like all the others that have hatched. He started from the bottom then turned around and broke thru the other side. He looks like he's trying to kick out but he hasn't zipped all the way thru in one direction. This is what he looks like this morning:
View attachment 3805605View attachment 3805606View attachment 3805607
He has sections of solid shell both on top and on the bottom floor of the incubator. He hasn't zipped thru in one straight line.
Weird but as long as he is still active leave him be
I am hoping for the best

Back
Top Bottom