Bantam Roo w/ Standard Hens?

shalynnbrothers

Chirping
Jan 31, 2016
Ramona, CA
My husband and I currently have 2 flocks in 2 separate (neighboring) coops. Five standard size 4 month old hens with one 4 month old RIR rooster. In the other coop, we have 2 - 3 month old bantams (5 hens and 5 roos). I know we have way too many bantam roos, we plan to rehome some. However, I'm starting to feel intimidated by our large RIR roo and I'm thinking of re-homing him and keeping an extra bantam rooster in his place to live with the standard size girls. What's your opinion on doing this? Will the big girls pick on the bantam roo?

If it's okay to do this, is it alright to just put him right in with the big girls? They've already lived most of their lives seeing each other through a fence.

Since your bantams are younger than your standards, I'd wait a while before putting a cockerel in with the large pullets. If they'd been raised together it would be a different story. But he's just a baby at this point, and while the large pullets aren't mature hens, they could still be very mean to a single little guy.

Or, why not get rid of the Red cockerel and mingle the two flocks? If you're introducing all the bantams to the large pullets at once, things should be fine as long as you've got enough space for everyone.

Since your bantams are younger than your standards, I'd wait a while before putting a cockerel in with the large pullets. If they'd been raised together it would be a different story. But he's just a baby at this point, and while the large pullets aren't mature hens, they could still be very mean to a single little guy.

Or, why not get rid of the Red cockerel and mingle the two flocks? If you're introducing all the bantams to the large pullets at once, things should be fine as long as you've got enough space for everyone.

Each of our coops is only large enough for 7 standard size chickens.

We planned on keeping the bantams separate because we have lots of different breeds like polish, silkies, and a frizzle that the big girls aren't used to and may pick on. 7 of the 10 bantams are still pretty little (10 weeks), the big girls are 18 weeks. There's quite a size difference. The bantam rooster I'd like to put in with the older girls is only a week younger than them and a Millie Fleur D'Uccle. He's recently started trying to mate everything
ep.gif

How long do you think we should wait before trying to integrate him with the big girls?

Here's a pic of our coops:

Last edited:
Each of our coops is only large enough for 7 standard size chickens.

We planned on keeping the bantams separate because we have lots of different breeds like polish, silkies, and a frizzle that the big girls aren't used to and may pick on. 7 of the 10 bantams are still pretty little (10 weeks), the big girls are 18 weeks. There's quite a size difference. The bantam rooster I'd like to put in with the older girls is only a week younger than them and a Millie Fleur D'Uccle. He's recently started trying to mate everything
ep.gif

How long do you think we should wait before trying to integrate him with the big girls?

You can try and see what happens. I'm always surprised at how big the bantams think they are. My flock consists of both bantams and large sized fowl and they're all intermingled. Initially they had their own coop and runs and free ranged together, but with the advent of cold weather last fall my husband thought they would be better off sharing the bigger coop, and they've been together ever since.
I know several people who have bantam roos (Because of temperament) in with their large fowl hens.

I keep some of my bantam roosters with my large breeds and they are nice flock roosters. I hate to go against donrae, but I wouldn't mix your bantam hens with the large breed. They can certainly range together but the bantam can get bullied and possibly killed by the larger breeds, especially crested breeds and odd acting ones like polish and silkies.

I would get rid of your big rooster and move some bantam roosters over, maybe two that are buddies.

Okay, I getcha now. I thought you were talking about a maybe 16 week large fowl pullet and an 8 week bantam cockerel.

What you're talking about, I'd go ahead and put him in as soon as the Red cockerel is gone. I don't think I'd try to mix the two males, but since the little guy is that close in age he should be able to hold his own against the Red pullets. Be aware he'll probably put up a fuss at night, not being able to get back to where he's used to sleeping. You may have to guide him a few nights, but he'll get over it.

I like your set up, and especially the chairs correctly positioned for maximum Chicken TV viewing
lol.png

I keep some of my bantam roosters with my large breeds and they are nice flock roosters. I hate to go against donrae, but I wouldn't mix your bantam hens with the large breed. They can certainly range together but the bantam can get bullied and possibly killed by the larger breeds, especially crested breeds and odd acting ones like polish and silkies.

I would get rid of your big rooster and move some bantam roosters over, maybe two that are buddies.

Thanks so much for your response!

I kinda love your idea of moving 2 buddy bantam roos to the big girl coop because we actually have 2 (17 week old) D'Uccle roosters that have grown up together! They spare each other sometimes in the mornings but they're ALWAYS hanging out together. My only worry with moving them is, they also grew up with a cochin hen (our top bantam hen) and they both LOVE her! Sometimes too much... now that they've reached they're "sexual maturity" they're always trying to mate her. And they aren't very gentlemanly about it. Poor girl!
idunno.gif
I've noticed that she's been hanging out inside the coop more often during the day now, or perching up on the ramp (maybe because she's trying to get away from them?) When she goes to roost in the coop though they follow her and stay with her. The other 7 bantams in this same coop are the 10 week olds and were integrated with the 3 older ones only 3 or 4 weeks ago. They all get along well enough but the older top hen isn't a huge fan of the little ones so would it be bad if I took away both boys that she grew up with? Or would it be good for her and force her to make friends?

This is our first time raising chickens so I'm not sure how all of this works. I just want them to be happy and hopefully be able to keep a few roos. I've already given away so many
sad.png

Okay, I getcha now. I thought you were talking about a maybe 16 week large fowl pullet and an 8 week bantam cockerel.

What you're talking about, I'd go ahead and put him in as soon as the Red cockerel is gone. I don't think I'd try to mix the two males, but since the little guy is that close in age he should be able to hold his own against the Red pullets. Be aware he'll probably put up a fuss at night, not being able to get back to where he's used to sleeping. You may have to guide him a few nights, but he'll get over it.

I like your set up, and especially the chairs correctly positioned for maximum Chicken TV viewing
lol.png

Please read my response to OldHenLikesDogs, I'd love your opinion
big_smile.png

Hahaha, THANKS! Aren't they just so fun to watch!?

Thanks so much for your response! 

I kinda love your idea of moving 2 buddy bantam roos to the big girl coop because we actually have 2 (17 week old) D'Uccle roosters that have grown up together! They spare each other sometimes in the mornings but they're ALWAYS hanging out together. My only worry with moving them is, they also grew up with a cochin hen (our top bantam hen) and they both LOVE her! Sometimes too much... now that they've reached they're "sexual maturity" they're always trying to mate her. And they aren't very gentlemanly about it. Poor girl!:idunno  I've noticed that she's been hanging out inside the coop more often during the day now, or perching up on the ramp (maybe because she's trying to get away from them?) When she goes to roost in the coop though they follow her and stay with her. The other 7 bantams in this same coop are the 10 week olds and were integrated with the 3 older ones only 3 or 4 weeks ago. They all get along well enough but the older top hen isn't a huge fan of the little ones so would it be bad if I took away both boys that she grew up with? Or would it be good for her and force her to make friends? 

This is our first time raising chickens so I'm not sure how all of this works. I just want them to be happy and hopefully be able to keep a few roos. I've already given away so many :(
I think your hen would be relieved not to have the attention, I would move them over. I have a trio of naughty d'uccle roosters who have no hens but enjoy trying to make trouble, they are funny little group. They are also getting old, they are 7 years old, 2 are fine one is going blind.

You can often keep more bantam roosters to hens as they often claim a few and are content with their chosen group.

I think your hen would be relieved not to have the attention, I would move them over. I have a trio of naughty d'uccle roosters who have no hens but enjoy trying to make trouble, they are funny little group. They are also getting old, they are 7 years old, 2 are fine one is going blind.

You can often keep more bantam roosters to hens as they often claim a few and are content with their chosen group.

Awe, poor guy. I bet they're fun little dudes! I just LOVE our D'Uccle roos
love.gif

That is so great to hear! We bought a total of 22 chicks all a day old and we ended up with SO many roos. We're down to a total of 16 chickens now but 6 of them are roosters so we'll still be rehoming a few. I was hoping to keep 3 or 4 of them just because it's getting real tough to choose and just about every little chick that I favored turned out to be a little boy. Rotten luck, right?

So I'll move the 2 D'Uccle boys in with the 5 big girls, do you think I could keep 2 of our little roosters for the 5 bantam girls or better to keep it down to 1?

Back
Top Bottom