Bantam rooster in love with handicap larger rooster..

Aside from being a bit odd, that actually is quite adorable.

Are you completely sure the Silkie is a cockerel, not a pullet? Silkies can be very hard to sex! Has it crowed?

I have, on occasion, had my roosters attempt to mount my capons (castrated cockerels), presumably because they neither act nor look like males. Sometimes Silkies (and in particular, I imagine, a handicapped Silkie) can be quite difficult to determine gender based on looks and even behavior alone. Your rooster may simply think the Silkie is a hen.

I have also seen, after a fight occurred, dominant roosters mount the losers of the fight. But that tends to be more aggressive behavior and it would not make sense for a bird to be displaying both aggressive behavior as well as doing friendly things such as showing him food or laying near him.

Either way, if they are enjoying themselves, I say leave them. Odd friendships are the best kind.
Yeah I'm pretty sure he's a rooster. The woman I got him from said he was. She said he used to crow before his stroke. His spurs are small but they look like they are growing large enough to symbolize being a male. Plus, he's not laying eggs lol. And he looks like a boy :)

Back
Top Bottom