bantam roosts

dixiechick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Central Florida
Question to bantam owners: What do you use for your bantam roosts? Pictures would be great!

I am thinking 2x2's but worry about Bumble Foot....does anyone use dowels? I even thought of tree limbs? Just needing ideas/suggestions..

Thanks!

I have 5 bantams that live with other bigger birds (EE's at the moment) They have all been using the 2 x 4 roosts and so far, maybe 6 weeks now since their move into the big girl coop, all is well. I'm no expert, but it seems to be working...

My bantams rooster with my standard chickens. The rooster is at least 8 ft. high and probably 5 or 6 ft. long.
big_smile.png

I use natural tree branches, but I pick ones with smooth bark that are two or even three inches wide. Then I sand down any rough spots. I spray the branch with Adams Flea and Tick spray, then let it dry before use. Periodically, when the chickens are elsewhere, I'll spray the roost with Adams again, paying special attention to the bottom of the branch. So far, I haven't had trouble with mites and I'd like to keep it that way.

You could try putting up several different kinds and widths of roosts to see which your chickens prefer.

The only problem with using a wide roost with bantams is that their poop lands on the roost sometimes instead of falling down to the droppings board/pit.

Back
Top Bottom