Bantam Silkie vs. Standard Silkie-- whats the difference?

EggSpudition

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Boise
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to get a collection of answers to help me decide.

I would like to get another silkie chick-- many sites sell all their silkies as bantams-- some sell them as standards. It all gets very confusing...

Are the standard silkies and bantam silkies the same chicken? I've heard arguments say that the silkies sold in the states are all the same "silkie" but sold as bantams.. wha?
hu.gif

Anyone got silkies-- if so what size were they as chicks (please compare to coins) What size are they now?

Thanks in advance!

Sara
wee.gif

Quote:
I've heard that standard is what they breed started as, or what they are supposed be be size. LF and standards get confused. That's what I saw once, can't remember the thread.

Quote:
Thank you this is such good info. The bantam silkies on the ideal site say the hens will be 34 oz when full grown.. anyone know if thee hatcheries sell them as a referent size?

Is there a +/- to these weights when being judged? Or this this up to the individual judge?

I've seen some silkies at shows recently that looked HUGE to me and wondered how a few in my flock would measure up in terms of size. Especially the pullets/hens.

Mumbling to self...."I've got to pull out the scale and weigh my girls..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the OP isn't confusing Silkies bred to standard and the actual large fowl.

Back
Top Bottom