Bantam thread(including polish and silkies)

Pics
Was just trying to remember some things from when I was younger and I have a very clear memory of a farm with chickens. There was a buff Orpington cock and 5 buff orp hens. There was also some placid little white bantam hens. They had pinkish white skin and small single combs. They were also clean legged and had short tails. If anyone knows what these were please tell me.

Was just trying to remember some things from when I was younger and I have a very clear memory of a farm with chickens. There was a buff Orpington cock and 5 buff orp hens. There was also some placid little white bantam hens. They had pinkish white skin and small single combs. They were also clean legged and had short tails. If anyone knows what these were please tell me.
White Plymouth Rock Bantam?

Nearly. Tails are shorter and they were more compact. If I can’t find it maybe one day I will create one.
It could have been hatchery quality, or some other kind of quality. Were their tails short and round like Cochins? I know they wouldn't be Cochins, but I am just giving an example of tail type.

I just started raising bantams, after hearing such wonderful things about them I just had to. But lately I’ve been so discouraged! No matter how much I mess with our chicks they just won’t be nice. 4 of them are 3 weeks old now and still don’t like me. I wanted these as more of pets and I’m trying so hard. Is there still hope? Maybe I have to many right now? I was hoping y’all might be able to share some advice.

I just started raising bantams, after hearing such wonderful things about them I just had to. But lately I’ve been so discouraged! No matter how much I mess with our chicks they just won’t be nice. 4 of them are 3 weeks old now and still don’t like me. I wanted these as more of pets and I’m trying so hard. Is there still hope? Maybe I have to many right now? I was hoping y’all might be able to share some advice.
There is never a for sure chance that you will get chickens that like affection. Most of them do not because they are prey animals-while they understand humans feed them, they still have to be wary because that is their instinct. After all, humans are huge compared to them and we make quick and scary movements, plus we are rather loud. I have noticed bantams can either be afraid of you or love you, there seems to be not much of an in-between . . . I have heard that bantams tend to be more flighty than large fowl around humans because they are smaller and therefore humans appear bigger and more of a threat to them. Chicks are usually super sweet and dependent when they are young and grow out of it quickly. However, you will find some that simply just love humans, such as my Rhode Island Red Bantam, Ruby. She loves humans more than her own flock, and she even has her own harness, leash and diaper that I put on her to take her places. Overall, you are not doing anything wrong with your chickens and they just don't have the personality you were looking for, which can be disappointing. I hope you can find friendly bantams!

Back
Top Bottom