BANTAM WITH BROKEN LEG

PoultryCrazed

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
I recieved 6 mille fleur d'unncle bantams along with other kinds of poultry yesterday this morning I went out to do chores and saw a chick with a broken leg I brought it inside with a buddy. So should i make a splint or just see how it does on one leg? It hops around fairly well but its slower than the others. What should i do??

Are you sure it is in deed broken? I had on my reds whom I though broke her leg she had got it wedge and then try to fly (long strange story) and way I brought her inside gave food, water, hard boiled egg etc and watched. She could move around abit but not much. The swelling of the foot went down and by day 3 she was out with the flock. She has no issues.

Thanks and I think you may be right I gave it another look and one toe is folded under the other toe. The foot is swelling up but i did bring her inside. I hope this end well like your story did!! Thanks again!!

Just wanted to check in and see how the chick is doing? All better I hope
hugs.gif

Thank you for checking in!!! Our little chick still has some trouble but hops around just fine with one leg! Looks healthy and I hope she makes it because she's the last of the order she came in. Only her out of 21 chicks because of a stupid raccoon! Thanks again!

If her toes are folded over you could try to make her a shoe. I've seen it done for birds before even though it sounds weird. What you would want to skis cut out a piece of some stiff material, cardboard or something like that, in the general shape of her foot. Then put her foot down on it and put down something soft (fabric or gauze) and then tape. The fabric will prevent the tape from sticking to her toes but will keep the shoe on.

hey, I thought my banty cochin had mareks. Even though she was limping, she would drink and eat and love to limp to see us, even though she was going to get picked on and possibly mounted, recently, by another lower hen. Today, I spent time with her and thought, what if I feel her legs, are they the same, is one deformed, if they are the same, is the joint just wrong....* ps!!!!! The joint in one of her legs is SOO wrong. K so we have been babying her for like 2 months and now I find out she just had a broken leg the WHOLE FREAKING TIME! EHH! We had a coop fire on Christmas Day and we lost 19 friends/pets. She is a baby of our super amazing rooster and blue hen. She is amazing and attentive and loves us....OH MY!!!! We let her have a broken leg THIS long! We lost two of her sisters to Mareks, we think. Random. lethargy with a final seizure. Epic. What do I do? I saw that I should build a sturdy shoe. But what about her "knee"?! It's so wrong! We don't have $100 for another chicken visit to a vet that has no idea how to help. We took one chicken in for bumble foot and besides giving us a numbing agent, he had no idea about chickens. I could have just relied on my youtube and google KEELS. Eh... why aren't more people responding to this post. HUGE PROBLEM>> SHE's OUR ONLY BABY OF OUR FAVORITE ROOSTER EVER!!! We love her and she actually loves us, please help if you can!

Unless you want to spend gobs of time raising a lame bird that has to struggle every day, the most humane this to do is to put her down. If that's too tough for you to do, see if you can get a friend, a vet, or a shelter to do it for you. Culling and putting down birds is one of the few aspects of raising chickens that I never really get used to doing. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best, Take care.

Unless you want to spend gobs of time raising a lame bird that has to struggle every day, the most humane this to do is to put her down. If that's too tough for you to do, see if you can get a friend, a vet, or a shelter to do it for you. Culling and putting down birds is one of the few aspects of raising chickens that I never really get used to doing. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best, Take care.
Thanks for the reply. We are still feeding a watering her twice a day. If she takes a turn for the worse I fear we may have to just put her down..

Back
Top Bottom