Bare butted chicken, being pecked at, what to do?

Dazlin

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 5, 2007
One of my silver laced cochins has lost alot of feathers around the rump and, her tailis gone.
I've checked a few times for pests, and haven't seen any, but I dusted her and the others several times just to be sure.
Today, I caught the others pecking her in that area. When I examined her, there was blood on the tips of the new pin feathers coming in. I didn't know what to do, so I applied blue coat.
They are all only 4 months old.
Please tell me what to do, and why this happened.
I also have an extra vacant coop, I could move her to.
Thanks for any advice!
Oh...how can I get the blue coat off my hands and nails:rolleyes:

Quote:
First, how much room do your birds have? What feed are they on at what percentage protein? Do they get a chance to free range? Much fiber ikn the diet?

Separate this hen until her fathers have grown in enough to cover any bare skin. If you don't the others will open wounds on her eventually and then things will really get bad.

Then check out your mangament and feed and see if crowding stress or poor nutrition is contributing to the problem.

They are in a very large coop 8 ft. x 16 ft.
They are all young, 4 months, and do go outside.
There are a total of 16 pullets.
They are on layer crumbles, some scratch, occasoinal raw liver, black oil sunflower seeds, and sometimes, cooked duck eggs.
I really can't see a deficiency here.
I also noticed that only these 2 silver laced cochins seem to have a feather problem, no one else...all the same age cochins.

Incidentally, because you didn't mention your diet, I had really no way of knowing whether or not there might be a deficiency in something. There can be a perfectly fed flock and still have a 'deficiency' because of different needs, etc. So it's the first thing I have and always will want to rule out, whether or not I think it's a likely possibility.

Threehorses, I appreciate your advice, I think you asked all the right questions. Gives me peace of mind so I can rule out a problem:).
Well, the feather problem started on these two way back when they were only a few weeks old. They always had missing feathers on their back towards the tail. I think I wrote in on this forum, and some suggested a late feathering gene.(I don't know)
They seemed to fill in nicely, and now this one has no tail feathers, and a bare butt. There is no bleeding from the skin, but the tips of the new pin feathers had blood. I coated her with blue coat and checked back tonite, no one seemed to peck her yet, but, I"m really not sure.
Any clue?

Back
Top Bottom