Barley isn't sprouting?

CurvyCoop

Songster
Feb 11, 2022
Groningen, the Netherlands
I bought a 20kg bag of barley so I can sprout some and grow some as fodder for the chickens. I decided to test a small batch before I fill up my intended sprouting station. filled three jars about half with the barley grains. I filled the jars with water, rinsed the grains and then filled it again and let them soak for a little over 12 hours. probably closer to 13.
I then drained them and left them on the window sill. It's been 4 days now and I'm still not seeing any sign of sprouting.
The grains don't look moldy or anything and they smell nice when I sniff them, a bit of an earthy scent but also a little sweet? The grains aren't slimy or discoloured or weird looking in any way. They just look like moist grains in a jar. I rinse and drain the grains everyday and them put them back on the sill with their metal lid on. That spot on the window sill only gets indirect light. I know barley doesn't need light to sprout, but light isn't actively harmful to it either, is it?
I can be a bit (ok a lot :oops: ) impatient, but it's been 4 days and shouldn't they have sprouted by now?

What type of barley? How warm is it? It usually takes 5-6 days, so it will hopefully be soon.
I didn't know barley had types 😅 As far as I know it's normal barley. The bag doesn't even really have any information on it, just a picture of a pair of chickens on the front and back.
Right now we're in a heatwave here in the Netherlands and even indoors it gets up to 25 degrees celsius (which the internet tells me is 77F)

I didn't know barley had types 😅 As far as I know it's normal barley. The bag doesn't even really have any information on it, just a picture of a pair of chickens on the front and back.
Right now we're in a heatwave here in the Netherlands and even indoors it gets up to 25 degrees celsius (which the internet tells me is 77F)
Does it have a husk (still has a papery shell) or is it pearled? (Without a papery shell)

Does it have a husk (still has a papery shell) or is it pearled? (Without a papery shell)
I think it does?
I took a picture just to be sure
20220815_092258.jpg

Back
Top Bottom