Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Thank you. I think they are very healthy. I try to stay away from commercial products and use the natural health products to take care of the birds.
I bought these birds from a lady in lower SC who got them from a breeder out west. I'll have to look in my files to find the name but I don't want to advertise for a breeder that doesn't know me. I tried to get some from the breeder and was turned down so was very happy to find her stock in SC that I could get. It took a bit of money, some persuasion and an all day trip but I am glad to have them.
I feed my birds all they will eat and then they pick from the ground also. I have my little Barnie and his hens in a tractor that we move quite often in a clover paddock we haven't used in a few years. I am afraid to free range breeder birds. My laying birds are the ones that get to free range and some breeds that are not as rare.
It is the light that shows more red on Big Barnie. I'm not sure if the light is better on this photo of Little Barnie. The coop is above the run so it shadows the photos.

9332_lil_barnie.jpg

Awesome eggs! They look dark already to me.
The eggs I was getting from the girls before they stopped were like the one in your photo in the upper left hand side. They were a nice egg with some spots on them. Occasionally I got a smooth brown. We have a ways to go to get our eggs darker.

I don't think I would enjoy it as much if it was just handed to me. I like the challenge but not the impossible. I don't care to show poultry since we have participated in so many other animals for showing. I just want to raise birds I can be proud of. I really am not concerned with what others think of my birds, if you know what I mean. I am the one who has to live with them and I am the one who enjoys them. I may be only a beginner with this breed but that doesn't mean I don't have plenty to offer.
I believe this breed will be great in this country and we can all work together to make it more popular and not quite so difficult to obtain. I am certainly willing to share eggs once these girls get their butts in gear again!
fl.gif

Nadine

Glad to hear you open to trade eggs let me know when your ready I think Corancher and I would both be up for it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Are you looking for some?

I am looking at something other than the Marans and they were so beautiful! I am still thinking about getting some later. I have to deal with getting ready for our next shipment of chicks in March. This site is too addicting !!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Dont be afraid of this breed there are some good quality birds here we just need to work together I would love to have you on board with this project.

Well, since I had the chance I went ahead and got four little Barnevelder chicks from a local source - although I know they most likely just came from a hatchery of some sort - I'll have some little Barnies to practice with while I learn more about the real deal! I have been intrigued with them at the Poultry shows, I am hoping someone brings some to the Humboldt Poultry Fanciers Show in CA on the 14th of February...They are supposed to be pullets, but one is more reddish than the other three...it seems different. But what little dolls. I hope they are okay, they seem a little pokey as well, she said they hadnt perked up yet, so we're hoping they adjust. I put a little sugar in the water, and they are eating, drinking and "popping" around out in the brooder with their little friends.
fl.gif
I hope Barnies are sturdy - you have to be around here! I have older cuckoo marans chicks, and man, those things are tough as steel!!
The new baby Barnevelders, is this what they should look like?

BarnieBabies.jpg

tfpets
Good for you and welcome aboard. I love chick barnies. From what i have learned the darker the chick the better. looks like a great place to start.
big_smile.png

Bluehenhatchery.com :

I have some chicks hatching out when they get good and dry I will post some pics.
big_smile.png

I would love to see them! I was concerned about the four little ones I got at first, but they have adjusted well and seem to be doing fine! I'll admit, I've had tons of chicks, but I've never seen any chicks with a stance like these? They are quite upright in the front, almost straight up and down, it is really cute! Are they all that way? I've just never had a breed that stood quite like that, except the Araucana's appeared that way due to the "rumpless" stance they have.... Cant wait to see the pics!
Tina​

Back
Top Bottom