Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I have a beautiful white Barnie pullet. No yellow anywhere. I didn't realize they were rare. I'll try and get pics today. I'm just not good at getting them on this website. So, if someone can tell me again, how to get from my iPad to here, that would be great. Do you want pics of someone holding her? Spreading out her wings? Pics of her back? What would you like?

True white barnevelders are a genetic freak as the white is recessive so both parents need to have it and then it comes as 1 in 32 I think. They still have the pattern on the back. I used a white Sussex hen to breed further and then bred the offspring back to the white barnevelder cockerel. Sorry but don't know much about iPad

Aren't there white Marans in GB?
With white Sussex You destroy the egg shell colour.

Last edited:
She's beautiful! Not a lot of pattern on her back yet...but she only five months old. She's getting more pattern on her chest and sides. Her comb is true and her legs are yellow. I don't know who she came from. All my pullets are blue. One rooster is blue and the other black. That's why I wanted to keep her...if I take pictures from my cell phone..can you walk me through putting them up? I had a kind person tell me how's last year, but I haven't done it since. I'm going to write it down this time!
1f60a.png

Splash and true white barnevelders ( solid white) are two different varieties. Splash are the result of a two copies of the blue gene. They are usually mostly "white" with very irregular pattern of red ground color showing. Many splash will look single laced or barely laced at all, but carry the genetics for double lacing. The two copies of the blue gene interfere with the expression of the double lace in splash Barnevelders. The result is a poorly marked bird that is unshowable. Splashes can be used for breeding, but it is risky because you can not tell by looking if a splash has good enough lacing.

True white barnevelders are recessive white. I doubt we have true white barnevelders here in the USA. I'm not as familiar with thier genetic make up, but I doubt you would get quality pure white from double laced parents. Mahogany and autosomal red would most likely have to be bred out to get a clean white.

Trisha

Is there a way to know if a barnevelder chick will be blue or black? I know buff is obvious to spot. But I have some barnevelder chicks that just hatched. They came from mixed color flock of blue/black/splash.

New to barnevleders

Quote:
Of course to improve egg colour.
That's the way, which the best Welsummer breeder in UK have done it over decades, even if they don't admit it in the UK Welsummer Club.
I found several literature sources, which proves, that the winner of egg contests in UK have used Marans to improve egg colour in Welsummer, some Barnevelder breeder aswell.
My experience is, that the shank color can be fixed in F2 and F4 has smooth shanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom