Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Here are my cuties, got hatching eggs last April from DiamondDust
This is one of the two roosters. He has more red, as you can see

One of the three ladies, she is sure pretty

Second lady, she has some red, but she is pretty

and third lady who is splash, she is the most curious one

This is the second rooster, he has almost no red in his feathering

Here he is again

Black barnevelders are solid black with no lacing visible. Double laced are either silver gold or blue. Partridge is allowed in some breed standards.

I am guessing that you are in USA. You may need to get a copy of the breed standard for the American poultry association
https://www.barnevelders.net/poultry/content/barnevelder

The American standards seem to name the birds differently or maybe it is just some of the breeders.

You can show non standard birds in other large or bantam categories. Single laced barnevelders are non standard here in the uk

Barnevelders are either black or double laced, not both. Double laced are blue, silver or gold.

HI, can you help me understand the difference between black and double laced…..a woman in the Pacific NW has shown both Blue double laced and black single and double laced….new and confused. Thanks.

The APA standard just lists Barnevelders as Double laced. The only APA accepted color is the Double laced gold. But, here is where it it gets confusing. They are not really gold nor is that part of the name. They are mahogany in ground color, so more of a red rather than just gold. This ground color is described in the standard, but again not part of the listed variety's name . Many breeders have been using " slang" to distinguish between the accepted black double laced red color and the blue double laced red or silver double laced ( which is really black double laced silver). So, it is just slang, nicknames and abreviated terms. A black barnie often refers to the outer lace color, same with blue. Silvers are the opposite because the silver ground color is being used as the distinguishing difference.

Any non-standard color can be shown..but it will only be judged against the same non-standard variety. Blues against blues, silvers against silvers. Maybe solid colors like Black, White will eventually be shown here in the USA too.

Standard, black double laced, blacks ( referring to double laced not solid), all of which are nicknames, are simply shown as Double Laced. They can compete against the rest of the Breeds in the Continental class or go on to win best of show.

Hopefully I got all this correct and wasn't even more confusing.

our local feed store had some, maybe if you call around your feed stores they will have it? also after breeding blue double laced to blue double laced I had some golden double laced, she died at 9 month, have no idea why tho

Hello everyone!
I have some questions regarding chicken terms, and would like some critiquing on my almost 7 month old blue double laced barnevelder poulet.
- What do the terms shafting, peppering, and mossy mean? And examples of them too please.
- My Pullet (Who I would like to show if she's decent enough, so please be 100% honest and tell me both good and bad points, and feel free to request for more pictures).

Mossy ( more like smudges) and peppering ( best described as spots) are similar
It is the way the lacing breaks down, particularly in the tail, often show as a series of spots rather than clean lacing. Shafting is when the line in the middle of the feathers is a different colour. 7 months is old to think about showing a pullet. Most breeders raise a series of birds during the year and pick the best to show when they are in their prime. Normally about pol, it does vary. The best examples are selected for cage and handling training and showing begin sometimes before the bird is in lay. Roos are different. As hens aly they tend to lose condition and colour

The lacing is indistinct and I can see why you asked about peppering. But the bird is a lovely shape with nice legs and a good stance. The comb is medium to fine which is good for a barnevelder. 5 points is preferred. Remember it depends on where in the world you are. The standards are different in various countries

The lacing is indistinct and I can see why you asked about peppering. But the bird is a lovely shape with nice legs and a good stance. The comb is medium to fine which is good for a barnevelder. 5 points is preferred. Remember it depends on where in the world you are. The standards are different in various countries

Thank you for such a informative response! I forgot to mention but I live in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom