Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Do You agree, that it would have been better to create silver double laced Barnevelder based on a dark layer? Even if it needs some Years more to get rid of unwanted traits like feathered shanks?
Other breeder have choosen an easier and faster way to get the variety into the Standard with white layer. That's the reason, why I am disappointed and in need to start this project.
Barnevelder with cream eggs are no real Barnevelder. That's my point of view.
My plan was to work with english Cuckoo Marans (clean legs),
http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/
but first no single chick hatched from the imported eggs and finally I was convinced, that it would be better to work with french blacksilver, even if I need some Years more to get rid of shank feathers.
I will see, whether I succeed and if there are "followers" for the result.

Honestly I was teached again, why the most breeder make their backcrossings undercover. It's better to present the final version and keep breeding system confidental.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I have been away for a few years and am just starting to catch up with what's been going on in the Barnevelder world. It is with sadness I found out that Johan passed away. I purchased my original birds from him and peace of tyme farm. They were all lovely birds. Sadly, long gone, but they were wonderful. For now, I expect to lurk, but I just wanted to say "Hello!".

I am a little confused. Does Redcap live in Germany?
Yes.

Hi everyone!

I have been away for a few years and am just starting to catch up with what's been going on in the Barnevelder world. It is with sadness I found out that Johan passed away. I purchased my original birds from him and peace of tyme farm. They were all lovely birds. Sadly, long gone, but they were wonderful. For now, I expect to lurk, but I just wanted to say "Hello!".
Welcome back!

Hello All,
What a wonderful thread you have here. We've posted once or twice and had wonderful feedback. We have a lone cockerel from Greenfire Farms that we received as part of a Rare Breed mix. We would love to get him into the hands of some real breeders. He's the blue variety, and a beautiful bird. We would make someone a great deal if they were willing to take him this week. We are NPIP certified in California, and will ship anywhere in the US. Please PM us. Here's a couple of recent photos (lighting is not the best)…he's not crazy about getting his picture taken, but I think you can see his coloring here.
Best,
Brice @ SF

Sorry it took me a bit to get back but he arrived and is doing well....he is in quarantine. very sweet and loves treats

Diane

Here are some of my latest Barnevelder chicks! There is one lonely silkie on the right hand side but so far I have 13 Barnevelders out of the shell and doing great. Love the little stripes! Out of the 13 I have 12 males...anybody need some boy chickies? lol

DD

The bedding is pine bedding pellets that they sell in bags at the feed store. I like it a lot because it's very absorbant and the pellets are big enough that the tiny ones don't even try to eat it. The pellet break down as they get wet but by then the babies are big enough that they seem to leave the bedding alone. This is the first time I've used it inside with day olds...I usually put it in the brooder that is in the hay barn they they go to when they are close to two weeks old.

DD

Back
Top Bottom