Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Aghh! I have the most STUBBORN broody! Cool baths, wire crate with a fan and after 4 days she still wants to sit....on nothing mind you! This is my first experience with a broody Barnevelder. Of eight & this is the first one to ever go broody. Any ideas are welcome....can't think of what else I can do. Just need to rant a bit!:/

Maybe give her some chicks??? Just kidding, but some hens are just serious broodies.

Trisha

This s when I throw in the towel and give her some eggs to hatch! If she wants to be a momma that bad, i say let her!
big_smile.png

That's my theory too.

Aghh! I have the most STUBBORN broody! Cool baths, wire crate with a fan and after 4 days she still wants to sit....on nothing mind you! This is my first experience with a broody Barnevelder. Of eight & this is the first one to ever go broody. Any ideas are welcome....can't think of what else I can do. Just need to rant a bit!
hmm.png

Send her to me, I'm just waiting for a few of my girls to go broody :)

If timing was better I would give her eggs or sneak in some chicks. I'm unfortunately busy with work travel right now. She's still in the wire cage with a fan blowing on her. Poor hormonal thing! When I get her out to eat, she fluffy up & looks like a little turkey. She'll stay out & eat for about 20 minutes. Boy she's determined! ! :rolleyes:

So here we are, I hatched my 4 Barnevelder chicks just over 3 weeks ago. The advice on sexing by chest fuzz color was spot on. I had 2 with white/yellow chests that I figured were boys and 1 with obviously dark tan/gray chest fuzz so I figured her for a girl and the fourth was medium in between and she looks to be a girl. Here are some pics, everyone agree 2 male/2 female ? Any thoughts on the feathering, do they look like 3 week olds should look? I truly know nothing about these guys.
hide.gif

So here we are, I hatched my 4 Barnevelder chicks just over 3 weeks ago. The advice on sexing by chest fuzz color was spot on. I had 2 with white/yellow chests that I figured were boys and 1 with obviously dark tan/gray chest fuzz so I figured her for a girl and the fourth was medium in between and she looks to be a girl. Here are some pics, everyone agree 2 male/2 female ? Any thoughts on the feathering, do they look like 3 week olds should look? I truly know nothing about these guys. :oops:
My guess is two pullets and two cockerels. Trisha

My guess is two pullets and two cockerels.

Trisha
Yeah, it doesn't really show up well in the pics but there is a huge difference in the combs, 2 have big obvious ones and the other 2 do not, so I figured the same thing. Do they look "correct" otherwise?

I was wondering how many of you vaccinate for meraks. I am restarting my Barnevelder flock and currently have 6 chicks that are around 2 months (I'd have to look up their exact age). Those 6, I assume were not vaccinated, which is fine. My Barnevelder flock before was not vaccinated as it was a closed flock and this flock will probably be too for a while, but at some point I am going to need to sell chicks to folks in order to move the overstock I'll have hatching as I grow the flock. I do not foresee shipping chicks though the mail, but locally, yes. If I chose to sell babies how would that best be handled? Also, as far as I know, I have never had a case of Meraks here. This coop will also be built on a new site, not the old one.
I just keep going back and forth and back and forth, so I thought I would ask. I know people can get excited on this topic and it is not my goal to get folks riled up. If you need, you can PM me with your thoughts. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom