Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Not sure this is the right thread to comment on, but I'm looking into getting a few of these hens, how dark of and egg do they lay(could someone post a pic of an egg) and how good of a layer are they?

If laying is super important to you, then Barnevelders are probably not the bird for you. They take a long time to mature (8 months is not uncommon). They are average layers, my pullets lay well. But I have other breeds that are stronger layers. Another thing to consider is that Barnevelders can go broody. I have 2 that are broody right now.

As for egg color, they do not lay super dark. It's more of a coppery brown. 4th and 5th row back are barnevelders. The 2nd and part of the 3rd row are welsummers. Front row are blue barnevelders, except for the 2 green ones.

Ok
If laying is super important to you, then Barnevelders are probably not the bird for you. They take a long time to mature (8 months is not uncommon). They are average layers, my pullets lay well. But I have other breeds that are stronger layers. Another thing to consider is that Barnevelders can go broody. I have 2 that are broody right now. As for egg color, they do not lay super dark. It's more of a coppery brown. 4th and 5th row back are barnevelders. The 2nd and part of the 3rd row are welsummers. Front row are blue barnevelders, except for the 2 green ones.
I am also considering Welsummers and Black Copper Marans, have you had any experience with either of them, and if so which has a darker egg? And better layer?

Ok
I am also considering Welsummers and Black Copper Marans, have you had any experience with either of them, and if so which has a darker egg? And better layer?

Here's the problem with darker layers...the dark egg, by necessity, tends to mean they don't lay as many eggs as it takes longer for the egg to go through the "paint shop" part of the egg tract. Barnies lay pretty well for darker than average layers but no dark egg layers lay as well as production birds like Leghorns or even, for that matter, Hamburgs who are also white egg layers. I have not had either breed myself but I've heard that Marans are not great layers...my SIL had some and got rid of them because they don't lay well.

DD

Ok
Quote: Marans will have the darkest egg color. I have had a couple of BCM's in the past and they were average layers. (similar to barnevelders) One was mean as heck, so she was rehomed to a friend where she entered the bottom of the pecking order in their flock to correct her attitude. The other was attacked by a bobcat and did not survive her injuries.

Welsummers lay a nice terra cotta colored egg. They are good layers, 5 to 6 eggs per week per bird. I breed them as well. Here are eggs from one of my pullets from this years hatch.

Here's the problem with darker layers...the dark egg, by necessity, tends to mean they don't lay as many eggs as it takes longer for the egg to go through the "paint shop" part of the egg tract.  Barnies lay pretty well for darker than average layers but no dark egg layers lay as well as production birds like Leghorns or even, for that matter, Hamburgs who are also white egg layers.  I have not had either breed myself but I've heard that Marans are not great layers...my SIL had some and got rid of them because they don't lay well. 

DD

My Marans did not lay well at all and they had horrible attitudes. We got rid of all but one and now that hen has become an egg eater. Very frustrating breed.

Also keep in mind that the Barnevelder egg color has been neglected the last several years. Even chicks hatched from darker eggs may not lay dark. It's very inconsistent. I have one (don't know who yet) who lays an almost white egg. And I have a couple that lay lovely coppery eggs, but still not as dark as some I've seen. It will take some work with hatching only from the darkest eggs to get the egg color back where it should be.

My girls are pretty decent layers though, although they've backed off quite a bit since it started getting hotter. I haven't had any go broody yet. They're certainly better layers than my Marans ever were and much better temperaments.

The temperament of the Barnevelder is fantastic. They definitely have a calm, mellow attitude. My cock birds are amazing, always looking out for the babies in the coop.

My Black Copper Marans lay bigger darker eggs than my Barnies. They lay eggs with about the same frequency as the Barnies and they are about the same broodiness as the Barnies. They are more active than the Barnies, they like to do a lot of scratching, maybe they are better foragers? My BCMs are very personable and never mean, but you can't beat the temperament of the Barnevelder, they are very sweet and I don't let the Marans live with the Barnies, the Barnies would probably be overwhelmed with the very busy Marans.

Well, I did it! I started at the beginning and read the whole thread. I finally got through it all. There sure were a lot of ups and downs, but I learned a whole lot. I recently acquired some hatching eggs from eBay and was told they originated from vB and KC lines. Granted, the person selling them had a closed flock for several years and kept crossing the birds for improvement, this probably means it is now more like their own line and a lot less like vB or KC, but at least that means they started off with something decent. At least I hope. I ended up with 5 chicks and they all have the dark brown coloring and no visible deformities. The Marans I got from the same person ended up with fused toes! I had not heard of this issue prior to this, so I am a bit disappointed in the results with them.

That being said, I find it interesting that you mention, Donna, that you raise them separately. I currently have 5 chicks of each breed being brooded together, but I will definitely watch them closely and take that into consideration as they grow. The Marans are already feathering out much faster than the Barnies, which I have heard Barnevelders do like to take their sweet time.

I still haven't gotten these guys outside on some dirt yet (they are just 1 week old). I typically have gotten chicks outside for short periods as young as possible, but I have been worried about the Barnevelders from all the reports I have read about them dropping dead with no warning. I currently have a mixed flock of adult birds and some 9 week olds. I would hate to expose the new youngsters to something that would have dire results, but at the same time I have heard that getting them exposure in small amounts at a young age can actually help to strengthen their immune systems. So... I guess the worrier in me has just been taking over.

Any suggestions on this? Should I just put their safe pen out in an area apart from the run? Should I go ahead and put them in the safe pen right inside the run? I really shouldn't be putting so much thought into this, but I don't want to risk losing these little guys. Are they really as fragile as I have read in discussions here?

Back
Top Bottom