Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Quote:
I like the second roo too
smile.png

Hi Trisha. I was hoping you would respond ... so I could tell you the second cockerel is from your eggs!
tongue.png
The girls in the pic are too.

Susan
Grass Valley, CA

Quote:
fl.gif
You get some eggs soon. I still have a few pullets holding out on me, but I would say most are laying at this point. The older hens of course aren't laying and probably won't until the days get longer. I did just get a first egg yesterday from one of the pullets so there is hope more will start soon.

I think the feed ration I started them on is helping. It's a 20% layer pellet and I also supplement with 19% pigeon mix as a treat instead of scratch. I just started to give some alfalfa pellets (16%) mixed in to compensate for lack of greens. The alfalfa pellets (smaller rabbit kind) seem to really be improving yolk color and maybe leg color too.

Trisha

Think I got my first egg today! Not positive as I didn't witness her in the nest box, however it was very round and a bit smaller. Very similar in color and shape to what I hatched her from!

Quote:
fl.gif
You get some eggs soon. I still have a few pullets holding out on me, but I would say most are laying at this point. The older hens of course aren't laying and probably won't until the days get longer. I did just get a first egg yesterday from one of the pullets so there is hope more will start soon.

I think the feed ration I started them on is helping. It's a 20% layer pellet and I also supplement with 19% pigeon mix as a treat instead of scratch. I just started to give some alfalfa pellets (16%) mixed in to compensate for lack of greens. The alfalfa pellets (smaller rabbit kind) seem to really be improving yolk color and maybe leg color too.

Trisha

Think I got my first egg today! Not positive as I didn't witness her in the nest box, however it was very round and a bit smaller. Very similar in color and shape to what I hatched her from!

clap.gif
ya.gif
Congratulations!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
fl.gif

Trisha

Yay!!! Sounds like she started up for you.

Trisha

Quote:
I like the second roo too
smile.png

Hi Trisha. I was hoping you would respond ... so I could tell you the second cockerel is from your eggs!
tongue.png
The girls in the pic are too.

Susan

Grass Valley, CA

No wonder why I liked him, LOL. He and the girls are looking very good and I'm glad you are happy with them:)

Trisha

Quote:
fl.gif

Trisha

woot.gif
'Bout time!
clap.gif

I've got bantam Barnvelders; 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. They are so beautiful, and lay an impressive egg for a bantam. I plan on separating them from the flock in the spring so I can have purebreds.

Quote:
He'll crow. It's funny though, when I had 2 crowing cockerels in the coop there was a lot of crowing. Then I got rid of the extra cockerels and now it's super quiet. My main barnevelder rooster will crow a few times in the morning, and occasionally a time or 2 during the day.

thanks he satred !!!!

atempt one on saturday at 9.30 am to say goodmorning and to let everyone know his favorite girl was laying an egg

attempt two sunday at8.30am , to say goodmorning and hisgirl way laying and them to parctice the entire day to get it right - he was doing cock a doole and cock a doodle ruuuuuuu

and today monday 8.00 in the morning ! he is not too loud at the moment so i hope the neighbours dont mind - i spoke to them and they said it was ok for now ( they have not heard him yet though)

he has nearly worked out theend its nearly a doooo but not there just yet , its lovely to hear i smile every time but yet i do worrie the neighbours will get upset still

i live in a normal street in uk so houses are next to each other very close and i am a worrier !"!!!!

I'm hoping you guys here could give me some advice... this isn't a Barnie question (mine are still busy growing) so I apologize, but I know you guys here are level headed and also understand the value of a single bird in a small flock, especially when that bird is a bit more expensive to replace. I already had to avoid exchanging words with another BYC member on another post that someone was having the same problem with
roll.png
It's one of our BCM's... we're not in it to show/breed/sell right now they're just pets and give us eggs and when the barnies start laying hopefully sell the extra eggs to eat. That said, she's not a perfect specimen (i.e. not much feathering on her feet, not as much copper) but she's not bad either . You guys know that replace a pullet like this that is already laying is upwards of $20... Anyways sorry I'm rambling, she seems to be paralyzed. It started in her left leg and two days later it's both legs. She's been separated from the flock and nobody else is showing any symptoms. She doesn't have anything wrong with her other wise... no other symptoms of anything. She hasn't laid since this started (it's been 5 days). She still eats and drinks, although not as much the last day or two, I've been trying a couple things like adding vitamins for the last couple days. I can't say though that I've seen any improvement and she doesn't react to touch on her feet and legs. I'm fine to wait it out if she'll get better (I have a horse with EPM- a neurological condition so I'm no stranger to the healing process) but I want to make sure I am not being cruel by keeping her alive just because i can't put her out of her misery if she is in any. In horses, appetite is a good indicator of how they're feeling and you can't exactly force feed a horse. If her appetite does continue to decrease and force feeding is neccessary am I still doing the right thing? After a week what are the realistic chances she will be self sufficient again? Am I getting my hopes up too much? Thanks guys.

Quote:
I hope that she pulls through for you. Have you posted this over in the injuries and illness forum, you would probably get a quicker response? You could also do a search on illnesses and diseases that have paralytic symptoms.

Hoping for the best!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom