Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I am getting Barnvelders this May and would like to know what breeds would be good to outcross with to produce more feather color variations. I have heard of laced Wyandottes being used but don't know if that would mess up the comb and muddy the feather definition. I was thinking of Rocks, but does anyone have a suggestion on a breed that comes in solid white and blue with the same general conformation?

I just found out about Farmer Johan, I've been gone for a few days. He will be deeply missed:(

Just to let everyone know I may not be able to keep up with Internet correspondence for the next week or so. My dad is in a hospital in San Francisco and my sis and I just got back from spending 3 days with him. It was pretty rough for a few days with complications from cancer surgery. He should of been home last week
sad.png
, but he seems to doing better now though we may have to go back in a few days. We have some other relatives staying with him in the mean time.

I have eggs in the bator that are due to hatch Monday/Tuesday and they are starting to wiggle in the egg turner tonight!!!...got tons of things to do along with getting two egg shipments ready to go.

Trisha

Hi Royce

Lacing is a better word than Hen feathering which means something else in birds like seabrights where the rooster feathers are like the hens in color and form. I will send you a photo of the bird from the magazine he is really something I have not seen in our Barnevelders, laced all the way around but with hackle and sickles like a normal rooster.

What is going on with your leg coloring?

Andy

Hi, just a lurker, when i first looked at the standards book for the Barnevelder, it confused me that all the roosters that i saw had mostly solid breasts, but in the standards it alludes to them having lacing too. I remember asking you about this Royce the first time i went to the Monroe show....BTW i teased Mr. Weils that he shared too many secrets since this year your birds were really something at the show....Congratulations on all your wins....I know you really have put your heart into your poultry program.....eliz

I'm a little behind on my reading... wow, so much going on! My condolences too to Farmer Johna's family... I am new to the breed, but I can definitely appreciate all he has done. A loss too with Christina retiring. Best wishes for your father TLS. If my girls EVER lay an egg (the EE pullet of the same age has been laying for weeks now lol!) I will be back to post pics! A new foal is on the way, so maybe I'll get caught up another time.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and mental
hugs.gif
. My dad is doing much better and may come home soon (nearly 2 weeks after he was suppost to).

I woke up this morning to a bator full of chicks. They didn't get a "lock down" and had started pipping in the autoturner before I laid them on their sides and upped the humidity yesterday. I guess not having lock down didn't effect the hatch much:) Still some more pipped eggs to go, but most have hatched or are zipping.

Blues, cornevelders and silver pencilled rocks.

Cornevelder eggs and one egg from a KC line Barnevelder hen. The only egg I've gotten from my 2 KC hens since last summer. VERY light color on that KC hen egg and I don't know if they will really start laying again. Anyone want two 4 year-old KC hens that lay light eggs????

OMG, they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!! Where did you get the Silver Rocks from? I am guessing the lite chipmunks are the blues, the dark chipmunks are the Corns and the 2 at the far right back corner are the Sliver Rocks?

Can't wait for mine to hatch, they are due on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom