Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I would expect the barred rock x Barnie cross pullets to be black, if the barred birds are based on E/E the crosses will be E/eb. That's what my E/eb birds (from a Barnie on blue/black Rock hen) looked like (all black) and the pullets from this cross are essentially the same genotype as mine. When I put black copper marans roosters on barred rock hens to make sex links there was some brown in the hackle of the sexlink pullets, but the marans is based on Er so I assumed that was the reason for the coppery hackles.

I am now getting some F2 chicks from my blue rock and barnie backcrosses, there are black chicks that are E/eb but that are also Pg/Pg that have faint patterns showing through the black. I have also got my first blue laced chicks starting to feather out, so I am excited to see how they will develop.
I will be putting my blue F1 roosters (carrying Silver) in with my Barnie hens in a week or so.

Andy

They're finally here! My first eggs! And two in one day! I almost missed them when I was gathering eggs tonight.

wee.gif

My girls are the vB line.

That is what I was afraid of, probably why they were sold in the first place as baby chicks to me :( Bummed, they were supposed to be very good quality... Would anyone like a Roo ? LOL
I guess I will be looking for a hen or two , if anyone has them in the North Texas area, please let me know :)
Question , there has been no crowing as of yet, but two were facing off, not sure what you call it when they jump up and down and fluff up their neck feathers....? Is that a sure sign those at least are roo's or do hens do that as well ?

Last edited:
That is what I was afraid of, probably why they were sold in the first place as baby chicks to me :( Bummed, they were supposed to be very good quality... Would anyone like a Roo ? LOL
I guess I will be looking for a hen or two , if anyone has them in the North Texas area, please let me know :)
Question , there has been no crowing as of yet, but two were facing off, not sure what you call it when they jump up and down and fluff up their neck feathers....? Is that a sure sign those at least are roo's or do hens do that as well ?

Hens do that too.

And I agree, all roosters. (except the marans looking pullet)

Treehouse,
I'm sorry you ended up with 4 roos, hopefully it was just bad luck. I do have a funny story share about selling "straight run" chicks. Not really related to Treehouse ending up with 4 roos, but it is kind of related to the "luck of the draw" and selling straight run chicks.

About 2 years ago, I had two bins of chicks and both bins were straight run. One bin had pure "vB" chicks and another bin I was selling that had KC/vB and maybe some pure "vB". I only wanted to keep the chicks that I knew were the pure "vB" line. A lady came out to buy 6 straight run chicks from the "mixed line" bin. She really wanted pullets and one cockerel, but I was only selling them as straight run. I also think she must of thought I was cheating her and when my back was turned I saw (out of the corner of my eye) her grab a chick from the ones not for sale. I'm sure she though I had separated the pullets out some how and was keeping them in the other bin. I didn't say anything because she grabbed a chick that had a screaming white breast....a cockerel
hide.gif

Trisha

Treehouse,
I'm sorry you ended up with 4 roos, hopefully it was just bad luck. I do have a funny story share about selling "straight run" chicks. Not really related to Treehouse ending up with 4 roos, but it is kind of related to the "luck of the draw" and selling straight run chicks.

About 2 years ago, I had two bins of chicks and both bins were straight run. One bin had pure "vB" chicks and another bin I was selling that had KC/vB and maybe some pure "vB". I only wanted to keep the chicks that I knew were the pure "vB" line. A lady came out to buy 6 straight run chicks from the "mixed line" bin. She really wanted pullets and one cockerel, but I was only selling them as straight run. I also think she must of thought I was cheating her and when my back was turned I saw (out of the corner of my eye) her grab a chick from the ones not for sale. I'm sure she though I had separated the pullets out some how and was keeping them in the other bin. I didn't say anything because she grabbed a chick that had a screaming white breast....a cockerel
hide.gif

Trisha

too funny! goes to show, karma works

Thanks Andy I was hoping you would chime in, since you said you have done this before. It is so neat to be able to tell the sex 100% at birth :).

I would expect the barred rock x Barnie cross pullets to be black, if the barred birds are based on E/E the crosses will be E/eb. That's what my E/eb birds (from a Barnie on blue/black Rock hen) looked like (all black) and the pullets from this cross are essentially the same genotype as mine. When I put black copper marans roosters on barred rock hens to make sex links there was some brown in the hackle of the sexlink pullets, but the marans is based on Er so I assumed that was the reason for the coppery hackles.

I am now getting some F2 chicks from my blue rock and barnie backcrosses, there are black chicks that are E/eb but that are also Pg/Pg that have faint patterns showing through the black. I have also got my first blue laced chicks starting to feather out, so I am excited to see how they will develop.
I will be putting my blue F1 roosters (carrying Silver) in with my Barnie hens in a week or so.

Andy

Thanks Trisha! Yep, i am kind of worried that on the pure Barnies I ended up with 2 hens and 5 roos AGAIN just like last year, but that was 2 hens 6 Roos
he.gif
Also, I think my sister is going to take my Barne X girls so I get to watch them grow up
big_smile.png

Hi Rachael,
Congrats on the chicks:) It does look like you got 2 boys and 3 girls with your rockxbarnie crosses. I wonder how the girls will look when they feather out? Maybe a lot like Black sexlinks,but more color/lacing on the breast?

I see for sure two boys (in the last two pics) in your barnie pics. It's hard to tell on the others and they could go either way.

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom