Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Treehouse,
I'm sorry you ended up with 4 roos, hopefully it was just bad luck. I do have a funny story share about selling "straight run" chicks. Not really related to Treehouse ending up with 4 roos, but it is kind of related to the "luck of the draw" and selling straight run chicks.

About 2 years ago, I had two bins of chicks and both bins were straight run. One bin had pure "vB" chicks and another bin I was selling that had KC/vB and maybe some pure "vB". I only wanted to keep the chicks that I knew were the pure "vB" line. A lady came out to buy 6 straight run chicks from the "mixed line" bin. She really wanted pullets and one cockerel, but I was only selling them as straight run. I also think she must of thought I was cheating her and when my back was turned I saw (out of the corner of my eye) her grab a chick from the ones not for sale. I'm sure she though I had separated the pullets out some how and was keeping them in the other bin. I didn't say anything because she grabbed a chick that had a screaming white breast....a cockerel
hide.gif

Trisha

Trisha that just goes to show that you have a much higher tolerance level that I do. I'm afraid I'd have said something like, "I saw that. I'm sorry but ALL those chicks are no longer for sale to you. Now, I'd appreciate it if you'd vacate my premises ASAP."

But that's just me.

God Bless,

I've posted pics before of my bantam barnie cockerels before, and now it's come down to two boys that I'm liking the looks of the most.
They are 12 weeks old now and bantam. Sorry these aren't the best of pictures
tongue.png
it's impossible to get them to stand still not to mention correctly!

Opinions please! Who should I keep? Is it still to early to make a final decision?

Boy #1 Probably the biggest in the group, almost completely black with some color coming in on his wings. His comb is a little funky but I would consider that minor. I'd say he has the better leg color of the two, though to me, they look pretty similar.

Boy #2 A tad smaller than #1. He has more color and a nicer comb than #1

They both look really nice. I'd keep them both if you can until they mature more.

#1 has nice coloring, tight wing set. #2 has a nice concave back line. It could just be the picture, but I'd watch his wing set.

Thanks Trisha, that is a very funny story- HOW RUDE though :( Some people have no class

I would think any experienced breeder of Barnies, has the knowledge to sex a bird. I did not but thats ok :) I will be rehoming some of them , If there is anyone in north dallas area? PM me

Last edited:
Quote: She kept asking about pullets and why I had two bins, but was only selling from one. I told her that I was just trying to keep track of bloodlines. Well, I really wasn't interested in keeping extra cockerels and didn't make a fuss seeing her grab a cockerel. But, it did make me mad, I wrote her name down and will not sell to her again.

I've pretty much given up selling straight run chicks. I had listed 16 straight run chicks (I am pretty sure a fair 50/50 boy girl ratio) on Craigslist. I'm getting upset with people just wanting the pullets or completely low balling me to get the cockerels for free along with the pullets. Some of the offers have been for less than Ideal hatchery sells their barnevelder pullets. I'll just go back to waiting until I know the sex for sure and double the price on the pullets. I have a lady that takes my extra cockerels as meat birds, so no loss there.

Trisha

3 Barnevelder chicks hatched......one of the 2 that hatched yesterday did not make it, and the other egg that pipped a pretty good hole was doing okay until this morning where I noticed it was foaming/bubbling from the beak....I put it down.

I have 2 little chickies....one girl and the other I don't know yet as it just hatched this morning and is still in the 'bator.

Andy~ I just saw that you posted a couple pages back....I am still catching up on a couple threads. I haven't changed anything but I am going to....don't know what....but going to work on something. Going to narrow it down one thing at a time if I can.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom