Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

My blue project birds are growing up. I have about 7 pullets and most are single laced with a couple showing blurry double lacing. Type is all over the place. I used rocks to get the blue gene and some look more like rocks and some more like Barnies in type.

Here are a couple pictures of the older pullets and a cockerel.

Pullet 1 has the nicest Barnie type but I think she is Ml/ml. Is there a Columbian gene in here, the single lacing would say yes. The columbian gene does not show up with the E/E rocks I bred to so I had no way of knowing.

Pullet 2 (below) has a few double laced feathers, but also mostly looks single laced, she has a darker hackle and poor type. She may fill out more in the next few months. She has a flat back and looks more rock like.

Here is my oldest blue laced cockerel. He is very odd type not Barnie at all with a long flat back. He looks to me like a composite chicken where someone pulled a head off one bird, body off another and tail off a third and taped them together. Its not the just the picture, that is how he really looks. His two brothers were even worse, no tails to speak of and they are gone. His color is nicest of all the oldest cockerels. I have about 8 younger cockerels I am hoping will be much better. I used three different roosters in the blue breeding this year. This one cam from a Johan Barnevelder rooster and bluerock x barnie F1 pullet. His daddy was on the reddish side in hackle and that shows up in this boy.

Andy

I just went to Portland on Wed and picked up 4 chicks from the urban farm store. The age difference would be too great I think, otherwise I would go grab one from you.

Here is my oldest blue laced cockerel. He is very odd type not Barnie at all with a long flat back. He looks to me like a composite chicken where someone pulled a head off one bird, body off another and tail off a third and taped them together. Its not the just the picture, that is how he really looks. His two brothers were even worse, no tails to speak of and they are gone. His color is nicest of all the oldest cockerels. I have about 8 younger cockerels I am hoping will be much better. I used three different roosters in the blue breeding this year. This one cam from a Johan Barnevelder rooster and bluerock x barnie F1 pullet. His daddy was on the reddish side in hackle and that shows up in this boy.

Andy
LOL, he kind of does look like a composite boy :)! His legs sure are yellow though :)

One of the chicken breeders in my area said it is the heat that changes the dark eggs to lighter. I don't know??
But that Dutch Rooster is absolutely gorgeous! thanks for the pics. It gives us something to strive for. I think we just have to keep the line pure.

Heat, stress, feed, and the longer the hen has been laying are all things that will lighten egg color. Even excessive or strong sunlight will effect egg color a little bit. In general, I get the darkest eggs in mild weather and at the beginning of each hen's laying cycle.

Trisha

I got my 5 barnevelder chicks this weekend and am thrilled. They are 5 weeks old and we are pretty sure they are girls. (to go with the boy we already have) fingers are crossed.

They are in quarantine currently and will be for some time. They are a whole lot younger than my other chicks and I want to make sure they don't get picked on when I finally put them out.

The people I got them from seemed very nice they freeranged their flock except for the ones they were getting breeding eggs from, that were in a separate run and had a LGD guard dog with their flock and didn't even put them away for the night!!! I freerange but I am so paranoid about getting that coop door closed every night that it has me thinking. My dogs have so far been really really good with the chickens, but I have heard stories about the trusted dog becoming a chicken killer.

Hi All,

I've just started reading this thread, what a nice group of people. I didn't know there were so many different color variations, the blue laced are quite something!

I've only seen one barnie, a pullet, so I have a beginners question. When I heard her voice, instead of clucking like my others it sounds more like the coo of a dove or maybe a cross between a coo and a soft cluck? Is this typical?

The Barnies I have seen in a group are very gentle and social. Roosters calling hens to eat a morsel, making soft clucks. Hens talking with soft sounds. Even the crow seems muted. A nice chicken besides being gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom