Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Trisha, your birds are continuing to look real nice.

My RC project is coming along. Got a couple of nice males this last time so I'm anxious to see what happens when put them over my two nice females now. The comb is still not where it needs to be.

Taking one cock, one cockerel, one hen, and one pullet to Chehalis on Saturday. Anybody else from here going to be there?

God Bless,

Does any one do "stud service" with roosters? Would it work? We're not allowed to have roosters, but I have a nice Barnevelder hen that comes from good lines, and I'd love to "breed" her... Is there any chance that I could rent-a-rooster, or bring her for a "date"? And if yes, any idea how many days afterwards her eggs might be fertilized? Thanks!

I wish I would have known that! I butchered a rooster with a near perfect comb! I kept the one with too few points.
Well don't feel too bad. If the one with too few points was better bodied etc...then it would be best to keep him rather than a roo with a perfect comb and poor type. I would choose the one with the best body/type first, then color, then comb etc. Birds with DQ faults should always be culled though because most of those faults pass on to their offspring. Combs are easier to fix than other traits and only worth a few points overall at shows.

Trisha

Just wanted to share a pic of a neat colored Barnie x EE cross cockerel. Barnie roo x EE (light gold/buff, partially laced hen). My sis hatched this one and hopefully he carries a copy of the blue egg gene since he has a pea comb.

Trisha, your birds are continuing to look real nice.

My RC project is coming along. Got a couple of nice males this last time so I'm anxious to see what happens when put them over my two nice females now. The comb is still not where it needs to be.

Taking one cock, one cockerel, one hen, and one pullet to Chehalis on Saturday. Anybody else from here going to be there?

God Bless,

Tailfeathers... it was nice to meet you at the show Saturday. Your big roo was certainly a nice looking fella!
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom