BARNEVELDER CHICKS GENDER help please

chickypets

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Hi
I have just hatched with the help of my very broody White sussex hen two Barnevelder chicks that I got as fertile eggs. Mummy Hen is soooooo proud and excited. I would love to know if anyone could sex them for me. They are only 5 days old. So let me know if this is too early. I have included photos of beaks and wings. There is one yellow one and one browner one. They are so cute and it is such a treat to have them. Thanks!!!

107560_dscf3600.jpg

107560_dscf3604.jpg

107560_dscf3606.jpg

107560_dscf3609.jpg

107560_dscf3613.jpg

107560_dscf3614.jpg

first pic is proud mama
2-4 yellow chick
4-6 brown chick

Last edited:
You can generally sex barnevelders at hatch by their chest color. It's not 100% but it's a good estimate. Boys have white chests and girls have taupe chests.

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news - those aren't barnevelder chicks, at least not pure barnevelders. Here's what pure barnevelders look like.
IMG_3382.jpg

Ignore the mottled java's here:
IMG_3381.jpg

thanks for your help. Ill wait a few weeks. The lady I bought the eggs off also had araucana and welsummer so even tho she sold them as Barnevelder may have been a cross breed. Thanks. I love them anyway. May post more photos at the six week mark if I stil l cant tell.
smile.png

Yep, definitely a cross. They look like the cross I got between my barnevelder roo and my leghorn ladies.

That said, the chicks are now showing beautiful creamy white double lacing in their teen wings. I'm real keen to see how they turn out as adults, and hoping most are hens, rather than roos! Sometimes crossbreeding can be so interesting!

You can generally sex barnevelders at hatch by their chest color. It's not 100% but it's a good estimate. Boys have white chests and girls have taupe chests.

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news - those aren't barnevelder chicks, at least not pure barnevelders. Here's what pure barnevelders look like.
IMG_3382.jpg

Ignore the mottled java's here:
IMG_3381.jpg

That's weird, when my 10 barnie chicks were little only 3 had white chests and only 3 turned out to be girls. Can it be turned the other way?

Back
Top Bottom