Barnevelder gender tracking. 3 - 9 weeks

Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
How wonderful that your boys are so nice! I have every intention of getting two Barnevelders next year with my chick order, and I’ve heard from multiple people that their Barnevelder roosters have been very good to hens and humans alike.

I’m curious to see how OPs chick turns out!
I have been nothing but pleased... especially since they are hatchery birds! BUT, I think its a LOT about environment!!!! MANY people LOVE orpington roos.... I was not around many older birds and was with a small group of pullets from Rural King. MAN, was he a JERK! We tired everything to tame him... nope.... still a jerk. With my 2 current roosters, the whole bunch was turned loose at 3 weeks, (this is how i did it... Integrating new birds at 4 weeks old ) My husband FREAKED OUT! But, I said... They will either get it.... or not, and the good Lord can sort them out!

But, if I was to do a rooster again.... it would be a barnevelder!

He does look an awful lot like a cockerel...it's much too early to see male-specific feathers, those won't appear until around 12 weeks or so. But he's got a pretty big comb and those wattles are turning red.

They don’t get male saddle feathers until like 12 weeks. I’m not convinced that’s leakage. My opinion is still pullet.
I may be an adult, but reading, typing or saying the word "leakage" makes me giggle a little. 😂

I'm going to keep this barnevelder as long as I can for reference photos, but if it turns out to be a cockerel and starts to be obvious that he's in my yard, I'll have to say goodbye to him at that time. Though I think I have a few friends who may want him so I could get to take more photos if that happens.

5 weeks old now? I'd say you have a cockerel. I was able to accurately sexed my Barnies at 5 weeks going on their comb.
You're probably right. I hope not though. 🤣

I'm thinking it's a cockerel... But we'll keep going for science! I've been feeding him for this long, what's a few more weeks? Lol. Plus making him super friendly to boot.

Outside today!
1000008310.jpg
1000008309.jpg
1000008312.jpg
1000008314.jpg

1000008311.jpg

Back
Top Bottom