Barnevelder gender tracking. 3 - 9 weeks

Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
In my opinion, that probably going to turn out to be a pullet, mostly because the chest feathers are coming in mottled and not solid black. (Just an opinion; not 100% sure.)
I have been keeping a close eye on that. I hope so as well. It's remaining a sloppy lace so far. Tail feathers are laced as well.

I wanted to post today so I had to take flash photos. But here we go! 5 weeks.

1000008172.jpg
1000008163.jpg
1000008180.jpg
1000008191.jpg
1000008189.jpg

I should be able to get daylight photos tomorrow. Which will express better color tones. Those above aren't coming out as pink as my eye sees in person. But it was poorly lit, so, 🤷‍♀️

Looks like a pullet to me! My Welsummer also had a large comb and little pink wattles at that age, but was very clearly female based on the color of her feathers. My understanding is that male Barnevelder chicks have a lot of black on their chests and little to no lacing, so I think you can have a lot of hope that yours is a girl.

Here is another thread with a 5 week old Barnevelder cockerel to compare:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barnevelders-5-week-olds-gender.1001023/

This morning I went looking for my boys.... yes, boys.... baby pictures for just this post .:D They too are barnevelders.
One of my roosters began crowing at 3 weeks, the other 5. You cant tell by the mottled feathers because they begin to blend in as they get older. BUT, their combs turned bright red very quickly. I'm not going to venture a guess if they are male or female, but Im leaning male. I have been very ...VERY lucky with these roosters. Their temperament is AMAZING! They were hatchery chicks, but "hen trained"and disciplined. (I opened the door to the brooder at 3 weeks)They are like dogs now, follow you around and beg for treats, but are very good with their flock.... and I wouldn't trade them for the world! I've even had offers from people to buy them.
Good luck!
1709726659157.png
1709726740281.png
1709726910550.png

Cockerel. The red leakage in the feathers is something that a female cannot have, and he is developing pointed feathers.
Eventually my eyes will be as well trained in seeing pointy feathers. 😂 I can't tell yet! They're all so small and lacy. Where are the ones you notice most?

The red on the back, I can see. I'll need to get daylight photos!

This morning I went looking for my boys.... yes, boys.... baby pictures for just this post .:D They too are barnevelders.
One of my roosters began crowing at 3 weeks, the other 5. You cant tell by the mottled feathers because they begin to blend in as they get older. BUT, their combs turned bright red very quickly. I'm not going to venture a guess if they are male or female, but Im leaning male. I have been very ...VERY lucky with these roosters. Their temperament is AMAZING! They were hatchery chicks, but "hen trained"and disciplined. (I opened the door to the brooder at 3 weeks)They are like dogs now, follow you around and beg for treats, but are very good with their flock.... and I wouldn't trade them for the world! I've even had offers from people to buy them.
Good luck!
View attachment 3764682View attachment 3764683View attachment 3764685
How wonderful that your boys are so nice! I have every intention of getting two Barnevelders next year with my chick order, and I’ve heard from multiple people that their Barnevelder roosters have been very good to hens and humans alike.

I’m curious to see how OPs chick turns out!

How wonderful that your boys are so nice! I have every intention of getting two Barnevelders next year with my chick order, and I’ve heard from multiple people that their Barnevelder roosters have been very good to hens and humans alike.

I’m curious to see how OPs chick turns out!
I have been nothing but pleased... especially since they are hatchery birds! BUT, I think its a LOT about environment!!!! MANY people LOVE orpington roos.... I was not around many older birds and was with a small group of pullets from Rural King. MAN, was he a JERK! We tired everything to tame him... nope.... still a jerk. With my 2 current roosters, the whole bunch was turned loose at 3 weeks, (this is how i did it... Integrating new birds at 4 weeks old ) My husband FREAKED OUT! But, I said... They will either get it.... or not, and the good Lord can sort them out!

But, if I was to do a rooster again.... it would be a barnevelder!

Back
Top Bottom