Barnevelders

@Anniebee
Sorry to hear about your loss! Have no idea what it could have been. I would just suggest, that if next time you see one of your birds getting sick you'd seperate it. If it is infectious you at least hopefully won't spread it to the rest of your flock. You can always try a round of antibiotics then and see if it gets better. Sometimes something goes on inside of a chicken and youll never find out what it is, unless you do necropsy. Is not cheap though, so if only one chicken is affected, might not be worth it

Barnevelders are not laying as many eggs as for instance Isa Browns. But they're the most beautiful hens looking like they've been dipped i chokolate. The rooster is really handsome in his oily black and shiny colourd. I have 3 hens and a rooster. Most days i collect 2 eggs, sometimes 3. They lay brown eggs. If you want chokolate brown you must choose Bronze Marans. I live in Denmark and the flok doesn't seem to mind freezing temperatures. Can only recommend Barneys

We've heard mostly good so far about the chicken. One con came from Hobby Farms edition of "Guide to Chicken Breeds". It states that Barnevelders are highly susceptible to Marek's disease, a contagious viral neoplastic disease common in chickens. The breed was obtained by crossing Asiatic breeds - including the Langshan, Cochin, Brahma and Maleier. So, cold hardy... I'd say, "Yes!".

P.S. Chicken Lovers, check this cool item out:

http://www.zazzle.com/chicken_hugger_bumper_sticker-128355756440874432

I, too, am anticipating the arrival of a hatchery Barnevelder female chick, and was wondering what I could expect from a hatchery (Meyer's) Barnevelder? One poster mentioned that they would bear only a passing resemblance to a breeder's stock, and now I'm worried that I'll be disappointed by ordering a Barnevelder. Anybody else ordered hatchery stock Barnevelders with good or not so good results?

I, too, am anticipating the arrival of a hatchery Barnevelder female chick, and was wondering what I could expect from a hatchery (Meyer's) Barnevelder? One poster mentioned that they would bear only a passing resemblance to a breeder's stock, and now I'm worried that I'll be disappointed by ordering a Barnevelder. Anybody else ordered hatchery stock Barnevelders with good or not so good results?
I have seen mypetchicken's Barnevelders at a friends house and although their size and lacing is not according to standards, they were still good looking. In the end hatchery brand is hatchery brand, you may be surprised by some good ones or may end up with totally non-conforming ones. However, on the other hand, the advantage is that you will know whether you are getting male or female chicks with 80/90% accuracy. Most breeders will sell you a straight run.

Selling some of my very rare chickens, juveniles and breeding stock!
We're located in 08343 but going up to Sussex County Poultry show next month.
We have show quality DL Barnevelders and Breda fowl ( Black X Mottled and Cuckoo )
We only sell in breeding pairs.
Contact us through or at w www.DutchConnectionFarm.com for pricing
We are NPIP certified and get AI tested every 3 months

Is there a way to know if a barnevelder chick will be blue or black? I know buff is obvious to spot. But I have some barnevelder chicks that just hatched. They came from mixed color flock of blue/black/splash.

Thanks!

I, too, am anticipating the arrival of a hatchery Barnevelder female chick, and was wondering what I could expect from a hatchery (Meyer's) Barnevelder?  One poster mentioned that they would bear only a passing resemblance to a breeder's stock, and now I'm worried that I'll be disappointed by ordering a Barnevelder.  Anybody else ordered hatchery stock Barnevelders with good or not so good results?

Townhen,
I wanted to follow up on my Barnevelder from MPC. She is absolutely gorgeous! Surprisingly close to type base on my reading. She's the jumpiest in my mixed flock but a great layer of dark brown eggs. Love her! How did yours turn out?

Townhen,
I wanted to follow up on my Barnevelder from MPC. She is absolutely gorgeous! Surprisingly close to type base on my reading. She's the jumpiest in my mixed flock but a great layer of dark brown eggs. Love her! How did yours turn out?

I'm glad you asked, because my Barnevelder (from Meyer Hatchery) is also beautiful and surprisingly true to type - and we adore her iridescent feathers. I am very pleased with the dark brown eggs we have been getting from her for the past month - about 3 or 4 a week so far. She was quite jumpy from about 10 weeks on, but has mellowed out quite a bit since she started laying and now clearly enjoys our company and being petted and talked to. Bottom line, we're very happy with our Barnevelder and I'm so glad that that there are others out there who are enjoying this strikingly beautiful breed as much as we are!

Back
Top Bottom