Barnyard Mix- help me ID please

LmCattes

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2024
Good afternoon,
I am hatching chicks for the first time and we had our first little baby hatch and I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on who its parents are. I have 2 roosters, a lavender Orpington and a white Silkie Roo. It hatched from an olive egg and I have Black Copper Marans, Olive eggers(I believe legbar cross because of their cute tufts on the hens) and buff Orpingtons. Any thoughts on who the parents might be?

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 57
4 toes; I’m eagerly waiting for the remaining 12 to hatch some are our BYM others I ordered a mystery fun and funky bunch so once those hatch I’ll need help identifying those too! Thank you 😊

Its a olive egger cross one of your roos.
Does it have 5 toes?
I agree that it must come from an Olive Egger mother if it hatched from an olive egg.

If the Olive Eggers have single combs, then Olive Egger x Orpington would give chicks with single combs. That cross would only produce chicks with the usual number of toes (4 per foot: 3 point forward and one points backward.)

If the Olive Eggers have single combs, then the only way for the chick to have any other comb type would be if the Silkie was the father. 5 toes would also mean Silkie-mix. (There is a chance that a Silkie could produce a chick with single comb and 4 toes, but it not particularly likely unless the rooster himself has those traits.)

I am hatching chicks for the first time and we had our first little baby hatch and I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on who its parents are. I have 2 roosters, a lavender Orpington and a white Silkie Roo. It hatched from an olive egg and I have Black Copper Marans, Olive eggers(I believe legbar cross because of their cute tufts on the hens) and buff Orpingtons. Any thoughts on who the parents might be?

Once it is out of the incubator, or even while it is still inside if it gives you a good look, you could check what kind of comb and how many toes. Single comb and 4 toes would mean probably Orpington father. Other comb type and/or extra toes would definitely mean Silkie father.

I agree that it must come from an Olive Egger mother if it hatched from an olive egg.

If the Olive Eggers have single combs, then Olive Egger x Orpington would give chicks with single combs. That cross would only produce chicks with the usual number of toes (4 per foot: 3 point forward and one points backward.)

If the Olive Eggers have single combs, then the only way for the chick to have any other comb type would be if the Silkie was the father. 5 toes would also mean Silkie-mix. (There is a chance that a Silkie could produce a chick with single comb and 4 toes, but it not particularly likely unless the rooster himself has those traits.)

Once it is out of the incubator, or even while it is still inside if it gives you a good look, you could check what kind of comb and how many toes. Single comb and 4 toes would mean probably Orpington father. Other comb type and/or extra toes would definitely mean Silkie father.
This is exactly the input I was looking for! Thank you all for the replies

You explained that much better than i could have!

So it’s been about 24 hours and no other eggs have hatched this little chick is just pummeling these other eggs. Is that okay or should I move this one chick to the brooder. I worry about it getting cold without the others to huddle with.

Back
Top Bottom