Barred + Mottled + Lavender Thread

The males will be entirely white and the females Nearly white... I don't see much contrast here
In my birds? They're f1 crosses between a lavender legbar and a mottled houdan, single barred and split to mottle. Pretty much what I was expecting. The next generation should be very diverse and I expect we should begin to see the mostly white males and colored females at that point.

In my birds? They're f1 crosses between a lavender legbar and a mottled houdan, single barred and split to mottle. Pretty much what I was expecting. The next generation should be very diverse and I expect we should begin to see the mostly white males and colored females at that point.
I am talking about doubled barred, mottled and lavender birds

How would there be less contrast than with 55 Flowery or Ancobars? Are you saying the lavender color is too pale?
Yes, Lavender will turn the hens to a very pale color, the males will remain white and the hens nearly white

I have not seen a colored picture of Ancobars just this old one, but 55 flowery hen breed should be pretty good representation as to what Ancobars might have looked like

1637166401087.png

55 Flowery
1637166436942.png

Yes, Lavender will turn the hens to a very pale color, the males will remain white and the hens nearly white

I have not seen a colored picture of Ancobars just this old one, but 55 flowery hen breed should be pretty good representation as to what Ancobars might have looked like

View attachment 2901018

55 Flowery
View attachment 2901023
Hmm. Hopefully we shall see. As long as there's enough definition to sex at hatch I really don't care too much about adult plumage appearance. I happen to like the gray color of lavender, though. Is not at all white to me, they're very clearly different next to each other to my eye.

I imagine these hens might look like little alpenglow snowdrifts in the yard, pleasant tinges of gray, and perhaps peach if we go with e+ base, with splotches of white.

As to sexing at hatch, I have lavender and white legbars as well and there are no issues with sexing them at hatch. I can't imagine it would be anymore difficult with this pattern.

20211025_132552.jpg

(White legbar with Isabella crele leghorn pullet for comparison.)

And to be clear, this pattern will be applied to a Houdan, not a leghorn-type bird.

As to sexing at hatch, I have lavender and white legbars as well and there are no issues with sexing them at hatch. I can't imagine it would be anymore difficult with this pattern.
Depends on the e allele, if you based it on the Extended Black e allele, well it's quite harder than a wild type lavender

Lavender Cuckoo Orpington chicks

1637175035521.png

Last edited:
It's a fair point and probably will guide me towards a preference for the wildtype base with the lavender.
As far as I am aware that is why Barred Rocks are not considered to be Autosexing by the definition of the word, but they could if bred for(at least if one selects the most light colored males and darker females)

As far as I am aware that is why Barred Rocks are not considered to be Autosexing by the definition of the word, but they could if bred for(at least if one selects the most light colored males and darker females)
To be honest, that's kind of why I'm wondering why the Ancobar is often mentioned as autosexing. I have had had BR lines that were as easy to sex at hatch as my lt brown leghorns or anything crele, but it's DEFINITELY something that has to be selected for.

With the down patterns of mottled birds, it seems like it would make it impossible... not easier.

I have not been able to locate chick pictures of extended black barred+mottled at all.

I noticed @The Moonshiner has blue barred+mottled though. What say you, sexable at hatch?

With the down patterns of mottled birds, it seems like it would make it impossible... not easier.

I have not been able to locate chick pictures of extended black barred+mottled at all.

I noticed @The Moonshiner has blue barred+mottled though. What say you, sexable at hatch?
Impossible at hatch on Extended Black chick down for the reasons given by you.

Basically Mottling has big impact on Extended Black chick down, the white irregular headspot usually found on males(females usually have smaller well shaped headspots) will disappear because mottling will extend to the head, face and neck on many of them,
1637178297911.png

At the same time mottling does not have a fading effect on the chick down(the black parts will remain black).

So in essence there will be little difference between non-sexable E/E, mo/mo, chicks and Sexable(in theory) E/E, mo/mo, B/B chicks, if you add lavender that will just compound the issue since it will fade the chick down of both genders.

These are Lavender Mottled Orp Chicks, good luck trying to find a headspot on a head/back of the neck that is clearly devoided of color and is yellow
1637179447099.png

While perhaps not sexable at hatch the males will turn entirely white with age(the mo/mo, B/B compound effect that turn males white does not affect day old chick down).

Ofcourse this is not the case with wildtype e+

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom