Barred + Mottled + Lavender Thread

To be honest, that's kind of why I'm wondering why the Ancobar is often mentioned as autosexing. I have had had BR lines that were as easy to sex at hatch as my lt brown leghorns or anything crele, but it's DEFINITELY something that has to be selected for.

With the down patterns of mottled birds, it seems like it would make it impossible... not easier.

I have not been able to locate chick pictures of extended black barred+mottled at all.

I noticed @The Moonshiner has blue barred+mottled though. What say you, sexable at hatch?
I've been posting barred mottled extended black chick and juvenile pics for the last 2 years or so.

I've been posting barred mottled extended black chick and juvenile pics for the last 2 years or so.
Do we have to go thru 1000 of your posts to find them or would you be kind to help us here?

Just in case I am sifting thru his "The Moonshiner's Leghorns" Page to find them and will post them if we don't get any posted here first

Last edited:
Do we have to go thru 1000 of your posts to find them or would you be kind to help us here?

Just in case I am sifting thru his "The Moonshiner's Leghorns" Page to find them and will post them if we don't get any posted here first
I was thinking the same thing and doing the same thing 😂😂😂

So far no luck!

I was thinking the same thing and doing the same thing 😂😂😂

So far no luck!
Lets do this, I am sifting from 0 to 280 and you do it from 280 to 556 and if you find them first post them here

First Edit.
100 Pages and still nothing, 400+ to go.

Second Edit.
Found pics of Mottled/Barred 5 week olds, the females(small combs compared to the larger ones) seem to have the same color as the males but that could be transitional since it's mottling on juvenile chicks. I am trying to find chick pics, but since they are E/E, mo/mo, B/B they are no different from Ancobars(will post an old pic I found)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-moonshiners-leghorns.1257688/post-23260857

1637187535518.png

Well I made it to page 260 and could not find any update on those birds posted, I will have to continue tomorrow but these would have the same pattern as Ancobars were expected to have them

Attachments

• 1637187386354.png
    1637187386354.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm not sure what I've posted of those.
The ones you found I've hatched from this last season and posted chick pics. They're just randomly mixed in with the other chicks that I post every hatch.
I have a second group that's a barred blue rooster that carries mottling over mottled hens. I have a few barred and mottled blues from them.
I've got several juveniles I could get pics of sometime but idk if I'll be hatching anymore of those chicks this year.

I'm not sure what I've posted of those.
The ones you found I've hatched from this last season and posted chick pics. They're just randomly mixed in with the other chicks that I post every hatch.
I have a second group that's a barred blue rooster that carries mottling over mottled hens. I have a few barred and mottled blues from them.
I've got several juveniles I could get pics of sometime but idk if I'll be hatching anymore of those chicks this year.
Did you see any way in which these barred+mottled chicks on black/blue could be autosexing? Even based on the juveniles, doesn't seem to be obvious.

Guess i really will have to go for e+. Still seems like mottling would only serve to reduce sexability in chicks rather than improve it.

Lets do this, I am sifting from 0 to 280 and you do it from 280 to 556 and if you find them first post them here

First Edit.
100 Pages and still nothing, 400+ to go.

Second Edit.
Found pics of Mottled/Barred 5 week olds, the females(small combs compared to the larger ones) seem to have the same color as the males but that could be transitional since it's mottling on juvenile chicks. I am trying to find chick pics, but since they are E/E, mo/mo, B/B they are no different from Ancobars(will post an old pic I found)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-moonshiners-leghorns.1257688/post-23260857

View attachment 2901334

Well I made it to page 260 and could not find any update on those birds posted, I will have to continue tomorrow but these would have the same pattern as Ancobars were expected to have them
Dedication! I called it quits for choring and dinner long before then!

These are helpful, though. Thank you.

Did you see any way in which these barred+mottled chicks on black/blue could be autosexing? Even based on the juveniles, doesn't seem to be obvious.

Guess i really will have to go for e+. Still seems like mottling would only serve to reduce sexability in chicks rather than improve it.
Honestly I was hatching so many chicks and the leghorns are easy to sex young so I didnt get too deep into trying to autosex them.
It would be interesting to take notes and see. I'm gonna guess it would be unreliable but maybe possible with breeding towards it.
Seems a lot of my mottled chicks do have a black arrowhead on top of their heads. I noticed some had broken arrowheads and they were mottled and barred.
Thinking now mostly those were the males. Females probably looked the same as mottled only birds so if I kept the mottled only chicks out of the picture to examine and track the barred mottled ones it might be possible to auto sex by intact arrowhead vs broken ones.

Back
Top Bottom