Barred Rock & Buff Orpington

m2wandc

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Sooo Barred Rock & Buff Orpington are the breeds my local feed store will have up for sale tomorrow...along with amerucana & white leghorn...

What are your opinions on the BR & BO for 'friendly' factor?

Are they better or worse then Rhode Island Reds?

I'm hearing the amerucana and leg horn are not so friendly more spirited...so I'm leaning towards the BR & BO?

I love my Buff Orpington's and my Barred Rock a sweet too. My Ameraucana's are nice but a little more flighty than the BO's or BR's but I think it has alot to do with how you handle them as babies. Good Luck!
big_smile.png

Here is my set up...any suggestions...the stuffed animals are in there as 'extra' because I'm only getting two chicks...

CIMG6566a.jpg

I would like the amarucana (sp?) but I need birds that are more likely to stay on the ground, our fence is 4 or 5 feet and there isn't a way to top net it...if they get out, it's likely a dog or wild animal will kill them.

I love my BRs and BO. They follow me whenever I'm outside, "talking" all the time. They don't care much to be handled, but that's probably because I grafted them to a hen, rather than hand raising them. The BR that I brought in and doctored after a dog attack is more willing to be handled.

My BO is so poufy that I've nicknamed her Sexy Knickers.

My BR's are awesome. They like to be handled and are not flighty like my production reds. My kids really like them because they will roost on them for hours if you let them. Great all around bird for laying and egg production. We don't eat ours so I can't speak to that. Also, they tend to be quieter than my production reds. Get em. You can't go wrong.

great stories...I love to hear of them following you about and letting you hold them...that is what we're looking for...we'll hand raise them and then when large enough, will be free range with a coop at night.

You are helping me lean more and more towards one BR & one BO
big_smile.png

Tell me more stories of loving birds that are 'pets' (not for meat here, and egg laying is second...good natured birds is most important for us!!!)
smile.png

clipping wings is pretty easy and it doesn't have to be done that often that will keep your lighter birds from lifting off i plan to clip all of mine when they get a lil bigger since i dont have a high fence and am hoping to get a bigger coop or i would just cover their area with bird netting to keep them down.

We have 3 BR and 4 RIR, all a week old today.
jumpy.gif
The RIR started eating off my fingers the first day home from the feed store, it took the BR only until the next day. Today was their first treat day and it was the BR's who came running at me first. They went crazy over yogurt and their food mixed together and of course, on my fingers.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom