Barred rock, California gray, cuckoo maran????

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
OK so today I picked up some more pullets since my last experience was rocky and I'm stuck with 9 roosters. I can't remember if I got 2 barred rocks or 1 rock and 1 cuckoo. I can't tell them apart. I also know I got 1 California gray. I know with barred rocks thick white stripes mean roo. Is this for all 3 breeds? I'm so nervous that I have another rooster because one seems to be more white striped than the others.

Last edited:
OK so today I picked up some more pullets since my last experience was rocky and I'm stuck with 9 roosters. I can't remember if I got 2 barred rocks or 1 rock and 1 cuckoo. I can't tell them apart. I also know I got 1 California gray. I know with barred rocks thick white stripes mean roo. Is this for all 3 breeds? I'm so nervous that I have another rooster because one seems to be more white striped than the others.
Barred Rock= yellow skin, red earlobes.
Cuckoo Marans= White skin, red earlobes
California Grey=smaller, lighter built, yellow skin, white earlobes.
The rules for sexing regarding the barring color hold true for every breed that is pure for the barring gene.

Wow. This is super informative. I thought I had a barred rock but it looks like she's a cuckoo maran after all! Our Noche is a proud mama with 2 babies following her around. She's a great mo: attentive, cautious, protective. You'll love having one!

Wow. This is super informative. I thought I had a barred rock but it looks like she's a cuckoo maran after all! Our Noche is a proud mama with 2 babies following her around. She's a great mo: attentive, cautious, protective. You'll love having one!
Easy mistake to make, especially since hatchery Cuckoo Marans don't lay the dark brown eggs the breed is known for.

Chick 1

Back
Top Bottom