Barred rock hen suddenly laying very large eggs

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
I have a barred rock hen who has suddenly started laying very large eggs. This started after she had been egg-bound one day. The color is much lighter than it used to be and the white seems thinner. The shell is a bit thinner too but not a soft shell. Should I up her calcium or something else? She gets layer feed, free ranges, has access to oyster shells and I give them black oil sunflower seeds and mealworms as a daily treat. She is 1 yr old.

I don't see a severe problem here. :old Nothing that you can correct easily. Or even able to. :idunno
If you want to experiment,,,, then cut off the BOSS and Mealworms for a while,,, Then assess if things change. These are additional sources of protein,, which may or not be the cause. Usually overdose of protein causes runnier stools, as well as slightly more odor potent. Nothing of health concern.
The calcium in layer, plus Free-choice oyster shells sounds ideal for all layers.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I was mainly concerned because the large eggs came right after she was egg bound. The shells are definitely thinner than normal. I added some baked, crushed egg shells to some mashed potatoes to make sure she ate them and the shells are looking better. So I do feel like there was a bit of a low calcium issue but it seems to be resolving.

To look a calcium in a chickens' diet ,, things break down as such. Non laying hens, and roosters still need 2% calcium in their diet. Layers of course need more,, so layer feed has 4%. Chickens are living things just like people. Their individual needs can vary just like us. Your one year old chicken just needed some extra calcium to boost here bone structure. :idunno Result, being slightly thinner shells,,, as well as the fact that the total shell is overall larger.
I offer Oyster shell free-choice to my hens. I have some hens that are retired geriatrics, so no longer lay. I feed 2% Alflock feed for that reason. . I do occasionally throw in a small quantity of the shells into their feed bowl. The chickens leave most of that behind, as the feed is consumed. BUT,, some does get consumed. :highfive:
Chickens will not overdose on oyster shells. Any extra, will just come thru the chicken.
I also recycle ALL the egg shells. I do not bake or anything as such. I simply drop on ground, and crush with my shoe. Chickens pick out what they need. They are smart in that regard.:frow
Processed calcium is somewhat different. Feeding 4% to chickens (non-layers) and roosters can have longer term unfavorable results. Mainly kidney and liver degradation/failure. Of course this is over a longer period of time... Many peeps do not keep their chickens as long as I do. Once they stop laying,, they are soup. I also do not have a problem with that.
My chickens are my pets.:love,, I do not eat my chickens, but do eat the eggs.:drool:drool
I also visit the Colonel with no regrets.:drool

Back
Top Bottom