Barred rock hens not laying

Fjb6673

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 28, 2015
Western Massachusetts
OK, quick backstory... got my first 4 hens( 2 -ee, 2-rsl) end of April, they were approx. 3 months old, and they all started laying at about 5 1/2 month. All seems normal with them. End of May I got 2 more hens, barred rocks, approx. 2 1/2 months old. At about 5 1/2 or 6 months old, one started laying for a month, then stopped. I assume only one was laying because I never got 2 barred rock eggs the same day. After the one month of laying no more eggs from the barred rocks. Been probably 2+ month with no barred rock eggs. They do free range most evenings and weekends, but I've looked good, and don't find eggs laid elsewhere. Also, I've left them in their coop and run a few days in a row to be sure. No eggs. The 2 barred rocks are at the bottom of the pecking order, but they are not badly harassed, just a peck from the rsl's now and then at treat time.

Any thoughts on why no eggs, and will they ever lay again? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's most likely the time of year.

Plymouth Rocks that age should lay through the first winter but days getting shorter often shuts them down.
Have you added a few hours of light to the coop?
I'd probably switch to a grower feed. The extra protein and added light should kick start them.

I posted the following explanation in another thread.

Light exposure to the retina is first relayed to the nucleus of the hypothalamus, an area of the brain that coordinates biological clock signals. Fibers from there descend to the spinal cord and ultimately project to the superior cervical ganglia, from which neurons ascend back to the pineal gland. The pineal gland transduces signals from the nervous system into a hormonal signal.
The gland produces serotonin and subsequently melatonin, a hormone that affects the gonads for sperm production in males and ovulation in females. An increase in melatonin causes the gonads to become inactive. As photoperiod in relation to day vs. night is the most important clue for animals to determine season. As it lengthens, the gonads are rejuvenated. The duration of melatonin secretion each day is directly proportional to the length of the night because of the pineal gland's ability to measure daylength. Besides reproduction, it also affects sleep timing and blood pressure regulation.

Last edited:
It's most likely the time of year.

Plymouth Rocks that age should lay through the first winter but days getting shorter often shuts them down.
Have you added a few hours of light to the coop?
I'd probably switch to a grower feed. The extra protein and added light should kick start them.

I posted the following explanation in another thread.

Light exposure to the retina is first relayed to the nucleus of the hypothalamus, an area of the brain that coordinates biological clock signals. Fibers from there descend to the spinal cord and ultimately project to the superior cervical ganglia, from which neurons ascend back to the pineal gland. The pineal gland transduces signals from the nervous system into a hormonal signal.
The gland produces serotonin and subsequently melatonin, a hormone that affects the gonads for sperm production in males and ovulation in females. An increase in melatonin causes the gonads to become inactive. As photoperiod in relation to day vs. night is the most important clue for animals to determine season. As it lengthens, the gonads are rejuvenated. The duration of melatonin secretion each day is directly proportional to the length of the night because of the pineal gland's ability to measure daylength. Besides reproduction, it also affects sleep timing and blood pressure regulation.
Source link?

Did your BR's start laying again? My bantam BR's did the exact same thing? My bantam EE however, has layed EVERY day since September. Is it really a breed difference? I live in MA so days are shorter.....makes me think I want more EE's :)

I reached out to a breeder of BR's to see if this is normal for this breed. I've been suspicious of worms from all the literature out there but, wouldn't my EE have an issue too? Hmmm. If I hear back from the breeder I'll let you know. Thanks for your feedback.

How are your Bantam BR's doing? Mine didn't lay this whole winter. Just the last couple weeks maybe an egg a week.

Back
Top Bottom