Barred Rock thread!!

@Nietz - you're little BR looks angry lol

Yeah she does! its funny too because of all of our chicks the 2 barred rocks are the most timid of the bunch. I bought a pair to have something different to look at, hey peep loud when anyone comes near the brooder, My daughters and I go to the brooder more than a few times per day and the rest seem to love the attention but not those two! I hope the attitude goes away as they get older :p

My two are so different

Last edited:
My 4 Barreds are so affectionate. They all fly onto my lap and let me pet them or just rest a hand on them. A bit more skittish when they're on the ground. Yours will probably grow out of the shyness.

This is my first time having barred rocks and I am loving them. We got 6 chicks to begin with and lost one so when I went to exchange I got one a litttle older and the barred rocks were the only ones that had that option. She ( maybe he, still not sure ) is my favorite! Of course when we went back to get some bedding we ended up with 6 more chicks...4 dark brahma and 2 more barred rocks.

The one on the right is not a pure bred Barred Rock - wrong leg color, and very muddy barring. It is likely a cross of a Barred Rock rooster over some other kind of hen with white feet.
I never noticed the difference in the leg coloring. As long as she lays she is welcome here.

So sad to lose hens, I just lost my favorite the other night to a fox. Watering and wouldn't you know it. So bummed. I did go get a couple BR chicks, since I am now down to two. Pine martin got the other one a few months back. . They are my first babies, I started two years ago with 10 week old pullets. They are so cute!!!!

So sad to lose hens, I just lost my favorite the other night to a fox. Watering and wouldn't you know it.  So bummed.  I did go get a couple BR chicks, since I am now down to two.  Pine martin got the other one a few months back. . They are my first babies, I started two years ago with 10 week old pullets.  They are so cute!!!!   

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

The only upside would have to be getting new chicks :) they are too cute when they are young!!

Back
Top Bottom