Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

The chick one up from the bottom is a female. The barring changes considerably as the chicks go through their juvenile > adult molts. Generally, the barring becomes far better. In my experience, the birds with the best barring are the ones who take more time to feather out, and the feathers are generally narrower than the ones with inferior barring.

Question on sex of bird on this bottom bird. Can you tell he is a male by his comb or feather color. I hatched out 17 Good Shepherd Barred Rocks that I got from Frank. BTW, salt of the earth type of person. I have some that are lighter in feather color like the one above. Does this also mean they are males

These Good Shepherd Barred Rocks are BEAUTIFUL BIRDS.
Thanks
From SUNNY KANSAS

The only one in those pics that maybe a pure BR is the last one all the rest are atleast half breeds, or hybridized crosses with, looks like something red. The one that is pullet looking second from last is a cuckoo pattern too not pure for barring you are not the first with these issues from Good Shepard this year.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it seems there has been some mix ups at the farm.

Jeff

The only one in those pics that maybe a pure BR is the last one all the rest are atleast half breeds, or hybridized crosses with, looks like something red. The one that is pullet looking second from last is a cuckoo pattern too not pure for barring you are not the first with these issues from Good Shepard this year.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it seems there has been some mix ups at the farm.

Jeff

I got Barred Rock eggs from Good Shepherd in Feb and had no problems with mix ups in the chicks. All are full bloods, 17 in all. It is possible a New Hampshire or some other type rooster got in with the Barred Rocks and had his way with a few girls prior to getting kicked out. The hens will maintain that semen for a while. I would imagine that is what happened. What ever happened I am positive that Frank will ensure the problem is corrected; with birds and I am sure folks that purchased his stock. We all have mix ups in life if we have stock and have been breeding animals/birds long enough. I imagine only a few in life can state they never had some kind of mix up happen.........................

IWhen I went to pick up eggs I could have talked with Frank for hours. His knowledge is amazing. What a GREAT person.

After my first year with hatchery birds, I have started looking for a true dual purpose breed that has a good carcass. The GSBR would certainly qualify, but maybe this breed has moved to far in the meat direction. Does any one have any info on their rate of lay/eggs per pullet year? In reading through this thread someone mentioned that the hens are a broody bunch. That would be of interest to me and an enticement to accept less egg production if they were reliable broodies. Can any one characterize/quantify what percentage of hens go broody and are they reliable dutiful mothers?

Thanks,

Mark

After my first year with hatchery birds, I have started looking for a true dual purpose breed that has a good carcass. The GSBR would certainly qualify, but maybe this breed has moved to far in the meat direction. Does any one have any info on their rate of lay/eggs per pullet year? In reading through this thread someone mentioned that the hens are a broody bunch. That would be of interest to me and an enticement to accept less egg production if they were reliable broodies. Can any one characterize/quantify what percentage of hens go broody and are they reliable dutiful mothers?

Thanks,

Mark

They lay very, very well. They also go broody.

Our pullets are laying 5 eggs per week, on average, and I consider that to be outstanding. However, they did take 39 weeks to get going. These old strains are slow growing and that needs to be understood before diving in.

Mine were about 8-9 months old before they started laying. That could be because of a late hatch in the end of May. They are 11 months now, and laying about 4 eggs a week. Of my four breeds they lay the most attractive eggs. Good shape, color and nice sized. Also have good interior quality, very few blood or meat eggs. They haven't shown any broodiness yet. These gals are 7 to 7.5 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom