Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

I have a few chicks growing out. This one male, in particular, catches my eye already. I can hardly wait to see how he turns out. He just seems so "thick" and massive to me already. I don't know if I can capture it in a picture, but here is an attempt......

31282_dscf0306.jpg

A few others I have.......

31282_dscf0313.jpg

31282_dscf0340.jpg

31282_dscf0339.jpg

31282_6-13-11mis007.jpg

31282_6-10-11delsetc043.jpg

Kathy, when do these guys legs turn that bright yellow like in the pictures you posted of Jeremy's birds? The young ones don't seem to have those yellow legs.

Quote:
Matt - hate to barge in here, but I have some of Jeremys birds (and others as well) that dont have those BRIGHT yellow legs. I asked the same question of some Rock breeder friends of mine and was told that a lot has to do with diet. As they mature, make certain that they get plenty of

- greens (grass, clover, etc)
- alfalfa
- corn

I am also feeding mine sweet potatoes (which they LOVE). All these things have a chemical compound in them that helps to set that yellow leg color

Hope that helps

(Kathy - sorry for jumping in here!!)

Question for all of you barred rock breeders. I breed partridge rocks, should I look for the same body shape in a partridge as I would in the Barreds? And if there is anyone that has ever heard of Joel Gilman, I would love to get some pr chicks from him.

Quote:
Yes, same type. They're all Plymouth Rocks, just different color variations.

Joel is tough to get in touch with, good luck getting chicks from him! From what I've heard, he's got some of the best PR's in the country.

Quote:
Yes, same type. They're all Plymouth Rocks, just different color variations.

Joel is tough to get in touch with, good luck getting chicks from him! From what I've heard, he's got some of the best PR's in the country.

He does have the best in my opinion. But like you said he is extremely hard to get in touch with, I have found no one that has any contact info like an e-mail or a phone number.

Here is my young roo. I only hatched three eggs and I thought they had all died (had them in with a bunch of other chicks) but then one day I noticed I had a barred rock in there. I have no barred rocks nor did I get any other barred rock eggs so this has to be one from the hatching eggs I bought. This guy seems to outgrow his feathers or something. He was pretty much bald for a good while. He still has a way to go on his feathering out but he's looking better. Anyway it looks like he's going to be a big ole boy when he gets grown. Not sure what I'm going to do with just one roo though.
hmm.png

Sorry for crappy cell phone pic.

24884_3barredrock1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They are the funniest looking birds!! Had someone laughing at mine so much, I named him 'Chuckles". He was about 5 weeks in this pic

72957_img_3230.jpg

I'll try to get another pic soon. He is 10 or so weeks old now and looking pretty good! Give yours a few more weeks, and I bet you'll be liking him a lot better. The slower to mature one's seem to make the better adults. .........stan

Back
Top Bottom