Barred Rocks hen or rooster?

sunnyflowerdays

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I look forward to working my way around this place and learning as much as I can.
My reason for coming in was, I've recently recieved 4 barred rocks. I have no idea how old they are, I'm guessing around 4 months. My problem is, I'm having a terrible time figuring out if they are roosters or hens. Are there any characteristics I could look for. I have 4 golden comet hens and one golden comet rooster, you can sure tell he's a rooster. He's already starting to "try" to crow. Poor teenager. The goldens look younger than the barreds. I know the barred are meatier birds, though. But my golden rooster dominates those barreds, big time! I would think a rooster would snap back at him at some point. But they don't. And the barreds pick on my poor little golden hens. Which I've heard that hens will do. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Here's a few pictures. The poor things wouldn't leave the corner the day I got 'em.
622092.jpg

622093.jpg

Told ya, he's a bully if there ever was one.
622095.jpg

Last edited:
Pics need to be more close up. The last pic..the barred rock next to the fence is a roo. The others not for sure. Post more pics that are close up pics of the barred rocks if you can. Can anyone else see any better than me?
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom