Barricading the coop

greencow

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
Hi!
I'm going out of town this weekend with my dog, so my chickens are going to be very vulnerable to raccoons. I was hoping to get some last minute advice on how to protect my babies. We live in a neighbor hood, so the predator problem isn't as serious as others, but we do get our fair share of raccoons. I'm going to park their coop right next to my back door, on cement, so nothing can dig under. Raccoons here do willingly come up pretty close to houses though, so I'm really worried. We're putting a barbecue in front of the run door, and we're also going to get some new locks. In addition to keeping them out of the coop, does anyone also have advice on getting them to leave. I think the coop is pretty safe for like 5 minutes, but they might slowly work at getting through it somehow.
Ps: I saw a raccoon last night pretty close to the coop for the first time (new to the whole chickenhood), so I'm worried it'll come back in the next few days, unless having a dog and human with a shovel chasing it scares it away for good!

Make sure the coop is covered 100% in hardware cloth (not standard chicken netting). Raccoons will reach in to any available hole and pull a chicken out (or whatever portion of the chicken will squeeze through!), but they cant reach through hardware cloth. I know this from a few bad experiences. Raccoons are the worst.

Alright, thanks for all the ideas and tips! Here's a finished product.. any constructive criticism welcome!

file://localhost/var/folders/v_/nvnwrxts2c52kkh49p5666y80000gn/T/Messages/Transfers/IMG_0791.JPG

Back
Top Bottom