Barring/ linking questions

Aug 1, 2023
Hey, I crossed a white hen who I didn’t think was barred with a Plymouth Barred Rock. The product was the yellow chick, and it has black markings. Is the yellow chick male or female?

Attachments

• 3C2CCECB-0B66-4F1D-A911-7ED54530627F.jpeg
    3C2CCECB-0B66-4F1D-A911-7ED54530627F.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 16
Hey, I crossed a white hen who I didn’t think was barred with a Plymouth Barred Rock. The product was the yellow chick, and it has black markings. Is the yellow chick male or female?
difficult to tell at such a young age. Perhaps its either a mix or just a white bird.

The yellow chick will need to grow for a while before you can tell whether it is male or female.

The combination of a barred father and a white mother does not make any kind of sexlinked chick.

The chick will probably grow up to be mostly white, with some black bits, and probably white barring across those black areas. None of these traits is related to whether it is a male or a female.

Barring is located on the Z chromosome, males are ZZ and females are ZW. For sexlinked barred rock crosses the mother needs to be barred and the father needs to be non-barred. The mother can only pass the barring on to her sons and if the father doesn't have a barring gene to pass on so only the male chicks will be barred. If the father is barred he may have either 1 or 2 barring genes (pure barred rocks have 2) and can pass barring on to either sons or daughters so barring would not tell you what sex the chicks are.

White is most often caused by dominant or recessive white but can also be caused by silver. All of these will make it impossible to see barring, both on adults and the head spots on chicks. Dominant white only needs one copy to make a bird [mostly] white. If your white hen has a single copy of dominant white, half her chicks will be white (yellow down, chicks with one copy usually have small black spots) and the other half will be non-white (in the case of this cross, black barred). Recessive white requires two copies, and can be carried by barred birds as white chicks do occasionally pop up in breeding barred to barred. If your white hen is recessive white then your rooster must also be carrying recessive white.

All that is the how and why of saying that you won't be able to tell whether this chick is male or female just by looking at the down color.

Barring is located on the Z chromosome, males are ZZ and females are ZW. For sexlinked barred rock crosses the mother needs to be barred and the father needs to be non-barred. The mother can only pass the barring on to her sons and if the father doesn't have a barring gene to pass on so only the male chicks will be barred. If the father is barred he may have either 1 or 2 barring genes (pure barred rocks have 2) and can pass barring on to either sons or daughters so barring would not tell you what sex the chicks are.

White is most often caused by dominant or recessive white but can also be caused by silver. All of these will make it impossible to see barring, both on adults and the head spots on chicks. Dominant white only needs one copy to make a bird [mostly] white. If your white hen has a single copy of dominant white, half her chicks will be white (yellow down, chicks with one copy usually have small black spots) and the other half will be non-white (in the case of this cross, black barred). Recessive white requires two copies, and can be carried by barred birds as white chicks do occasionally pop up in breeding barred to barred. If your white hen is recessive white then your rooster must also be carrying recessive white.

All that is the how and why of saying that you won't be able to tell whether this chick is male or female just by looking at the down color.
thanks! the other blue egg hatched, and it was black like it's dad as a chick. I guess that I'm going to have to wait and see:D

Back
Top Bottom