Bashful Babies

Scwood24

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
My babies are 2 weeks old now ^^ they like to rush out all at once into my lap when I open the brooder door and then promptly jump everywhere and flap their wings and chase each other. I thought maybe they'd like some time in the yard, but once the group was out there, they freaked and hid behind a flower pot. I'm guessing it's normal for them to be intimidated, but I was just worried because they showed NO interest in the yard at all. I was thinking an outdoor playpen might help with this. Ideas?

An outdoor play area is a great idea, as chicks tend to grow strong when exposed to soil, grasses, fresh air and sunlight. Just be sure they have a place to get out of the sun, and make sure the cage is predator proof if you're not going to be right there with them. 1/2" hardware cloth on a sturdy frame would work well.

Last edited:
An outdoor play area is a great idea, as chicks tend to grow strong when exposed to soil, grasses, fresh air and sunlight. Just be sure they have a place to get out of the sun, and make sure the cage is predator proof if you're not going to be right there with them. 1/2" hardware cloth on a sturdy frame would work well.
awesome :)
Chicks should not be outside of the coop until 7 or 8 weeks old because of the predators in the sky and on land.
They're actually up at the house with me so I can keep an eye on them ^^ they don't ever go anywhere without me on their tail feathers

What you were witnessing with your babies' bout of hesitation over being in the great outdoors was their natural instinct to take things slowly and carefully when venturing beyond their comfort zone.

If you give them some familiar cover, such as a carry crate they've been in before, then allow them to venture forth from that safe zone at their own speed, you'll see a rather methodical, if slow, embrace of their newly discovered freedom.

Yes, it sure will and most chicks die if you let them out too early because of predators or illnesses.

awesome
smile.png

They're actually up at the house with me so I can keep an eye on them ^^ they don't ever go anywhere without me on their tail feathers
OK, as long as you don't let them out it will be fine. Go to my page and you will see when and why you shouldn't let them out at this age and more other things about chicks, hens, and roosters.

What you were witnessing with your babies' bout of hesitation over being in the great outdoors was their natural instinct to take things slowly and carefully when venturing beyond their comfort zone.

If you give them some familiar cover, such as a carry crate they've been in before, then allow them to venture forth from that safe zone at their own speed, you'll see a rather methodical, if slow, embrace of their newly discovered freedom.
You have to be extremely careful for predators because they could think that your chicks look like something else from high above in the sky and below underground such as hawks and other birds and things that live underground.

Quote:You have to be extremely careful for predators because they could think that your chicks look like something else from high above in the sky and below underground such as hawks and other birds and things that live underground.
Please understand I am very protective over my babies and it is for that reason that they do not go outside without a secure pen AND cover to stay safe from the predators. They are never left unsupervised. They spend the majority of their time in the brooder If you wanna step inside, pay admission at the door...
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f415.png
1f415.png
1f415.png
1f436.png
1f436.png
1f431.png
1f408.png
1f431.png
1f408.png
1f426.png
1f424.png
1f426.png
1f424.png
1f40d.png
1f40d.png
1f40d.png
1f40a.png
1f40a.png
1f420.png
Total= 30
2764.png

Please understand I am very protective over my babies and it is for that reason that they do not go outside without a secure pen AND cover to stay safe from the predators. They are never left unsupervised. They spend the majority of their time in the brooder

If you wanna step inside, pay admission at the door...
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png

1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

1f415.png