bast turkey for my chickens?

Chicken girl 15

Songster
May 28, 2015
harpursville ny
We started a flock this year and as of now it contains 18 chickens. Don't get me wrong they taste good and my kids love eggs, however I like variety in my freezer. Is there a good or bad match for chickens or do I need a separate housing system?

Ok. Will do. That gives me the winter to plan and build a coop/run for turkey. We really enjoy our chickens and I would feel horrible if we introduced turkey and lost everyone. Thank you.

Chicken Girl 15,

I understand your caution with mixing chickens and turkeys. However, everywhere I see turkeys in a backyard arrangement they are with the chickens. That is what we did and have had no problems with the exception that a couple of our roosters try to mount the turkey hens. We have 4 Broad Breasted Bronze hens. The turkeys throw them off and chase them. Kinda fun to watch.

If there is no evidence of blackhead disease in your area, you should be fine mixing them.

If you are going to raise and breed them get a heritage variety. If just raising from poults to eat then get the broad breasted variety.

Turkeys are a hoot. You will like them.

The Hardemans

Back
Top Bottom