Bathing chickens help

Chicona

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Guide says

Dip your bird in the warm rinse water. Hold your bird a few seconds, while the water drains. Immediately wrap your bird in a towel; do not leave it uncovered, even on a hot day.
Dry Your Bird Carefully and Thoroughly. You must thoroughly dry your bird. Never leave a wet bird in even a slight breeze, even if it’s a hot day.
Wrap you bird in a dry towel and place your bird in a draft free warm place. After 5 minutes, rewrap you bird in a dry section of the towel.
Blow-dry your bird with the hair dryer. Be VERY careful with the heat. I have seen birds with blistered chests caused by an enthusiastic novice. Once good safeguard is to always have the palm side of your fingers between your bird and the dryer. My favorite hair drying has a “turbo” button that gives high-speed unheated air. I keep the drying set to medium (NEVER hot). I keep the turbo button pressed about 80% of the time.”

Now the blower on turbo is a breeze ?
I’ve always left my chickens to dry in the sun and on hot days when some went crazy and got too hot or broody was advised to dip em in a bucket of water n bathe them for 5mins

Now I find a lot do the same online but am also finding loads saying never leave a chicken wet but little to bo explanation as to why

Guide says

Dip your bird in the warm rinse water. Hold your bird a few seconds, while the water drains. Immediately wrap your bird in a towel; do not leave it uncovered, even on a hot day.
Dry Your Bird Carefully and Thoroughly. You must thoroughly dry your bird. Never leave a wet bird in even a slight breeze, even if it’s a hot day.
Wrap you bird in a dry towel and place your bird in a draft free warm place. After 5 minutes, rewrap you bird in a dry section of the towel.
Blow-dry your bird with the hair dryer. Be VERY careful with the heat. I have seen birds with blistered chests caused by an enthusiastic novice. Once good safeguard is to always have the palm side of your fingers between your bird and the dryer. My favorite hair drying has a “turbo” button that gives high-speed unheated air. I keep the drying set to medium (NEVER hot). I keep the turbo button pressed about 80% of the time.”

I’ve always left my chickens to dry in the sun and on hot days when some went crazy and got too hot or broody was advised to dip em in a bucket of water n bathe them for 5mins

Now I find a lot do the same online but am also finding loads saying never leave a chicken wet but little to bo explanation as to why
Guess I'm just old-fashioned but why bathe a chicken unless it's sick or is it covered in blood, injured? Point: one of my 3 wk old chicks got its wing caught on a loose wire from the window (it flew into). I carefully unhooked its bleeding wing off the wire and brought the whimpering baby into the house to assess its injury... dousing its wing in warm water in the bathroom basin. I dabbed hydrogen peroxide on the cut with cotton. Once all done, she was soaked to the bone but I see her wing was only scratched, she nearly fell asleep cupped in mu hand while I dried her feathers with the clean towel.
I remember it was still only 45 degrees outside, I had visions of her tiny body freezing to death -- I only contemplated a hairdryer for that second -- opted not. They had all been so huddled next to the older chick I had to trust she'd do so once I put her back in their 80 degree coop. She snuggled deep into the towel, I just kept rubbing lightly to get her feathers fluffy again. No dryer to terrify her. I put her back with her 'mates' and she was fine the next morning! Just my little tale... anyway, my aunt also said not to worry, let the sun do its job, especially in hot weather.
Imo, 'the guide' is full of chicken poo.

Guide says

Don't bath your chickens. Chickens are dry clean only creatures.

I’m doing it as a mite wash I have epsom and spinosad with permithrin dip
I did this in hot days before. If you do it in the morning of a hot sunny day, using a towel to get most chickens dry is good enough. Think about chickens running in rain and getting soaked. No, they do not need hair salon service. However, for the chickens low in pecking order, I blow dry their butts so no bully pecks them. Just a cheap hair dryer at low heat. All chickens love it!

Back
Top Bottom