BATS????

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
My coop is an add on to the workshop. In the roof part of the shop....there are bats...I have no idea how many, but have on occasion, found bat poo on the floor. Is this dangerous for my hens? I know bats can carry diseases....but if they are in the roof part, should I worry?? If so....how do I move the bats???

Bats are not dangerous to hens. They can be VERY dangerous to people. I don't want to sound like a total paranoid freak, but you should never let bats live inside a building that you enter. Only one person in the history of medicine has survived a full-blown case of rabies, and she caught it from a sick bat that she found in a church. Seriously. OK, my rant on rabies is over now.

So, now that I said that, how do you move your bats? First, you need to figure out how they get into your workshop. Holes in the eaves, loose ventilation covers, cracks near the rafters, etc. Then, find some firm hardware cloth and just after dark, when you are sure there are no bats inside, cover those holes very tightly. Small bats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter, for your reference.

If you want to be a nice and ecologically friendly person, before you do the other steps, find a nearby tree, buy or make a bathouse, and set it up for the bats. After you evict them they will relocate to that safer, happier place and your workshop and hens will be much better for it.

-MTchick

(I stand corrected. Rabies cannot be caught from feces- only saliva and blood!)

Last edited:
Bats are GOOD - they eat MANY MANY MANY flying insects every night - they are not aggressive, do not attack people or chickens - they are creatures to encourage to live in places like your barn, your coop - even put bathouses out to try to get them on your property. They are amazing creatures.

Yes, bats can carry rabies - sick bats will be obvious - they will not be flying, they will be out in the daytime, walking around or sitting on the ground. Rabies cannot be contracted by looking at the bat, inhaling the bat's fecal dust, or in anyway other than by blood exchange (being bitten) or saliva exchange (being bitten). As with any nocturnal animal - avoid contact with any bat (or fox, raccoon, skunk, etc) that is walking around or acting sick in broad daylight, and especially ones that are not afraid of people.

molly

I second what eichenluft said. Bats are GREAT to have around!

The only concern I would add, and here I admit I don't know a ton, so research is in order
big_smile.png
, is that bat guano (poop) is very concentrated. Not sure if the smell/dust in a confined area would cause resporatory <sorry... can't spell tonight!> distress? I do know it makes great fertilizer! LOL!

Not sure I'd want one flying in my house, but they are fascinating. I love to see them swooping in on mosquitos and moths at night.

Last year we put up a bat house.....no lunk in there....maybe I dont have it in a good location, It is in the East eave of my barn, under the roof overhang. Out of the weather, and out of the sun. I thought it would be a good place....apparently not. I love to watch them in the early evenings....there seem to be about 10 or so....flying around here. I just wanted to make sure my hens would be safe from ilness. So far...so good. Guess I wont worry too much then. Thanks everyone.

You can get a fungal infection and swelling of the heart called Histoplasmosis from the dust of bats and birds. Bob Dylan had had this diagnosed years ago. But rabies, like aids, is only a bodily fluid transaction. Bats are some of the coolest mammals around.

Bats eat those nasty skiters, they'll eat there body weight in one night. Wouldn't worry about getting hystoplasmosis from the bats more likely to get it from the chicken dust, or just natural fungus if you live near a river or lake. We call it Chicken ____ disease (fill in the blank lol) I see alot of it around here , our soil gets turned so much alot of people have it and don't even know it. It's rarely life threatening. Probably not much you can do about moving them except plug holes that can get threw, and don't kill them they're protected.

Last edited:
There is no way I can plug all the holes....and i would never kill them. They are just soo cute...little brown fuzzies. Im just glad I dont have to worrry about them sickening my hens. Thanks everyone!

UGH! South WEST side......THATS what I did wrong. Mine is on the South EAST side of the barn. Hmmm, I just thought...we get our storms from that side...and with the setting sun...it would be too hot.? Maybe not? Guess I will move it, and see what happens! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom